Countdown to 3 million posts

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, people are trying to reach 3 million posts before a certain date. There are a few bumps in the road, but if everyone posts, we could make it.
Any predictions? I'm guessing we reach it 3/15! My birthday! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing the rough daily increase it's purely a guess, so I'm going with 20th March 2011.

23rd March 2011 17:53:35.

Edit: That's GMT!

Last edited:
Can we win anything if we guess it correctly?? :biggrin:

Anyway, my guess is 16 march at 14:23:45

Greg Bernhardt said:
Any predictions? I'm guessing we reach it 3/15! My birthday! :biggrin:
No. It's going to be on 3/30! My birthday! :biggrin:

Greg,

What is the mean, median and max posts for PF over the past ten years, just this years data would be fine, but a 6 month snapshot for the entire time would be cool too, maybe we can see when PF took off, so to speak.

Rhody... :smile:

PS How about this, if a member (not mentor) I know I am bad guesses it or comes closest, how about a free premium membership for say 2 years ? Does that work for you ?

rhody said:
PS How about this, if a member (not mentor) I know I am bad guesses it or comes closest, how about a free premium membership for say 2 years ? Does that work for you ?

As long as it's only one person per date!

2,989,400 as of now.

Good luck to you (us?) Greg on getting to 3 million posts. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

On the pi day.

About 24 hours passed - 2,991,079.

Around 1700 per day. About 5 days left.

Borek said:
About 24 hours passed - 2,991,079.

Around 1700 per day. About 5 days left.

Borek,

I was thinking of bundling my next 50 posts or so and spew them off close to the magic 3 million mark, hehe... Maybe I would get lucky and be the lucky one who posted: 3,000,000.

Rhody... :wink:

I predict that as we approach the 3,000,000 post mark, a lot of people are going to start having https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338126" .

Last edited by a moderator:
14:44 EDT
Threads: 408,929

It would be great if we could make it today!

Happy Birthday, Albert E.

But at 1700 per day, it's another 5 days - March 19.

Astronuc said:
But at 1700 per day, it's another 5 days - March 19.

Ideally, but there's a dip on the weekends (or am I imagining it?) so I'm keeping my money on the 20th.

jarednjames said:
Ideally, but there's a dip on the weekends (or am I imagining it?) so I'm keeping my money on the 20th.
Don't you mean the 18th?

Gokul43201 said:
Don't you mean the 18th?

5 days of posts (1700 a day) takes us to 3 million on the 19th (a Saturday) - but it appears to me that there is a drop in the number of posts on Saturdays / Sundays that means you won't get the required 1700 on the Saturday so it would run over to the Sunday - which unless the dates are running backwards is the 20th.

Which is the date of my original guess:
jarednjames said:
Without knowing the rough daily increase it's purely a guess, so I'm going with 20th March 2011.

jarednjames said:
5 days of posts (1700 a day) takes us to 3 million on the 19th (a Saturday) - but it appears to me that there is a drop in the number of posts on Saturdays / Sundays that means you won't get the required 1700 on the Saturday so it would run over to the Sunday - which unless the dates are running backwards is the 20th.

Which is the date of my original guess:

We've passed 3 million a long time ago. The quoted post is 3,187,660 th. <QUOTE=jarednjames;3187660>.

dextercioby said:
We've passed 3 million a long time ago. The quoted post is 3,187,660 th. <QUOTE=jarednjames;3187660>.

Ah, Mentors spoiling fun.

The Stats said:
Threads: 408,957
Members: 259,270

I'm supposing the missing 200,000 posts were deleted posts, or something.

Probably posts in private forums.

jarednjames said:
5 days of posts (1700 a day) takes us to 3 million on the 19th (a Saturday)
1700 posts was counted mostly on a Sunday. If you are right, then the posts per day during the week will be greater.

I have queued up some "over the top posts" in gmail, drafts, all ready to go. Just a copy, paste submit exercise after that. Trouble is it will probably happen at 3:30 am and I will miss it.

Rhody... :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
1700 posts was counted mostly on a Sunday. If you are right, then the posts per day during the week will be greater.
From my point of view it was counted on Monday 14th March 2011 at 18:50.

An interesting point, Greg what time zone are we working to?

If it crosses at 11pm US that's anywhere from 4am to 6am the next day in the UK, not to mention elsewhere.

People need to specify time zone now.

(My prediction is in GMT)

rhody said:
Trouble is it will probably happen at 3:30 am ... :biggrin:
That's why god created the alarm clock.

If everyone logged in now makes about 60 posts, we could reach it today...

Gokul43201 said:
That's why god created the alarm clock.

Gokul,

I don't want credit that bad... but it would be a nice milestone, like being the first one in line for a new book by your favorite author when the bookstore opens at midnight.

Rhody...

jhae2.718 said:
If everyone logged in now makes about 60 posts, we could reach it today...
jh,

Start a thread, (not in General Discussion, that doesn't count), then add 60 one liners one at a time, guaranteed to get you a warning, or a warning and temporary banishment. We will use you for our test case, ready... set... go...

Rhody... :devil:

I'm wondering when Greg will need a bigger server. 3 mega-post.

That's a lot. :)

jarednjames said:
From my point of view it was counted on Monday 14th March 2011 at 18:50.
I'm aware of that. I still believe the majority of those 1700 posts were made on a Sunday (local time).

Wait a sec...shouldn't this thread be called, Countup to 3 million posts?

I'm going to randomly delete huge threads and the highest bidder will get them restored at just the right time. MUWAHAHA

Evo needs a new tv. :biggrin:

dextercioby said:

Char. Limit said:
I'm supposing the missing 200,000 posts were deleted posts, or something.
Yup. We delete spam, and some other posts that violate forum guidelines. But they all get assigned a post # just the same.

Evo said:
I'm going to randomly delete huge threads and the highest bidder will get them restored at just the right time. MUWAHAHA

Evo needs a new tv. :biggrin:

:eek:

March Mod Madness.