Counting Distinct Diagrams in Scalar Field Theory

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter whynothis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diagrams
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
whynothis
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I was just trying to think of a simple relation to find the number of distinct diagrams to a given order within a theory (specifically I am thinking of a [tex]\phi^{4}[/tex] scalar theory). I am reading Tony Zee's book and am working through his "baby problem" where he expands the integral:

[tex]\int_{-\inf}^{\inf} dq e^{-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}q^{2}+Jq-\frac{\lambda}{4!}q^{4}[/tex]

in both in powers of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and J so that we can pick out diagrams to a specific order in both.

So is there a way to find the total number of distinct diagrams to order [tex](\lambda^{n},J^{m})[/tex]?

Thanks in Advanced :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From personal experience, you just keep working these out by hand until you see a pattern. Or you get to a point where you give up. If there is a better way, I have not found it.