Renormalization with hard cutoff of a loop diagram with single vertex

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving for the loop contribution when renormalizing a one loop ##\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4## diagram with two external lines in ##d=4## dimensions. The Feynman rules and Wick rotation are used to calculate the integral, leading to the conclusion that counter terms should depend on the cut-off in order to cancel the divergences. The conversation also addresses the presence of momentum dependence and the use of renormalization conditions.
theittsco
TL;DR Summary
Confusion on how to renormalize a loop diagram with only a single vertex. Feynman parameters don't work.
Trying to solve for the loop contribution when renormalizing a one loop ##\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4## diagram with two external lines in ##d=4## dimensions. After writing down the Feynman rule I see that:

$$\frac{(-i\lambda)}{2}\int d^4q \frac{i}{q^2-m_{\phi}^2+i\epsilon} $$

But I see no way to convert this to Feynman parameters like in ##1/AB##. When I Wick rotate I get:

$$\frac{(\lambda)}{2}\int dq_E \frac{q_E^3}{q_E^2-m_{\phi}^2} $$

Which when integrated from ##0,\Lambda## (a hard cut off) via the great Mathematica yields:

$$\lambda/2 (1/2)(\Lambda^2-m^2\log(-m^2)+m^2\log(\Lambda^2-m^2))$$

My renormalization conditions are ##\Pi(m^2)=\Pi'(m^2)=0##, so when solving for counter terms:

$$i\Pi(p^2) = \lambda/2 (1/2)(\Lambda^2-m^2\log(-m^2)+m^2\log(\Lambda^2-m^2)) + i(\delta_Zp^2-\delta_m)$$

my counter terms still end up with ##\Lambda## dependence. So I messed up somewhere but I can't figure out where. Help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your counter terms should absolutely depend on the cut-off, that's how they cancel the divergences. There's no momentum dependence so ##\delta_Z = 0## and ##\delta_m## cancels out everything. Also I'm pretty sure you made a mistake when you did your wick-rotation, the sign in the denominator should be positive.

The whole idea behind renormalized perturbation theory is that you deform your theory with some parameter ##\Lambda## that makes the observables finite, then you ascribe ##\Lambda##-dependence to your constants which are selected to cancel the infinites and satisfy the renormalization conditions.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and theittsco

1. What is renormalization with a hard cutoff?

Renormalization with a hard cutoff is a technique used in quantum field theory to remove the divergences that arise in loop diagrams with a single vertex. It involves introducing a maximum energy scale, or cutoff, to the calculation in order to regulate the infinities.

2. Why is renormalization with a hard cutoff necessary?

Renormalization with a hard cutoff is necessary because without it, the loop diagrams would result in infinite values, making the calculations meaningless. By introducing a cutoff, the divergences can be controlled and the results can be made finite and physically meaningful.

3. How does renormalization with a hard cutoff work?

Renormalization with a hard cutoff works by limiting the maximum energy scale that can be involved in the calculation. This effectively removes the high-energy contributions that lead to the divergences. The cutoff can then be gradually removed in a controlled manner to obtain finite results.

4. What are the limitations of renormalization with a hard cutoff?

One limitation of renormalization with a hard cutoff is that it is not a fully consistent method and can lead to unphysical results. It also requires careful tuning of the cutoff value, which can be difficult to determine in some cases. Additionally, it cannot be applied to all types of loop diagrams.

5. Are there other methods of renormalization besides a hard cutoff?

Yes, there are other methods of renormalization, such as dimensional regularization and momentum cutoff, which are more consistent and can be applied to a wider range of loop diagrams. However, renormalization with a hard cutoff is still a useful technique in certain situations, such as in theories with discrete symmetries.