Counting microstates in Boltzmanns principle

In summary, the number of microstates in Boltzmann's principle for a system of i ideal gases mixed at constant volume and temperature is given by the sum of all the factorials divided by the product of all the factorials of the different components. This is because each gas molecule has the choice to remain in its original component or migrate to another, resulting in a total number of microstates equal to 2 multiplied by itself i times, or 2^i. This can also be validated by calculating the entropy using Boltzmann's formula and the conventional formula for reversible isothermal expansion. However, it is not possible to count the absolute number of microstates, only the change in their numbers due to a process.
erm

Homework Statement

Explain why the number of microstates W in Boltzmanns principle, is

W = ƩNi! / ∏Ni!

when i ideal gasses are mixed at constant volume and temperature. Ni is the number of particles of component i.

Homework Equations

S=klnW , where W is the number of microstates and k is Boltzmanns constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am really asking here, is an explanation on how the microstates are counted. It is obviously the sum of all the factorials divided by the product of all the factorials of the different components. What is the logic behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an example.

Suppose there is a container which is divided in two equal halves. In one half one mole gas is filled and the other half is completely evacuated. So, the gas will only remain in the first half.

Now the membrane separating the halves is removed. The effective volume is doubled. Now we can find the number of microstates that were introduced.

Each gas molecule has two choice, either remain in the first half or migrate to other half. Thus the total number of microstates we're seeing is just the capability of a molecule to choose where it wants to be. Thus it will amount to 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 ... upto NA or ##W=2^{N_A}##.

To check its validity, you can find out the entropy using Boltzmann formula AND using conventional formula considering reversible isothermal expansion.

As far as I am concerned, I don't think we can count absolute number of microstates. We can only count the change in their numbers brought about a process.

Thank you for the example. It expains how you can count the microstates in another case, but it really doesn't say anything about the problem I stated (mixing gases at constant volume and temperature). Could someone please explain this?

What is Boltzmann's principle?

Boltzmann's principle, also known as the second law of thermodynamics, states that the entropy of a closed system will tend to increase over time. This means that the system will become more disordered and its energy will be more evenly distributed.

What are microstates in relation to Boltzmann's principle?

Microstates refer to the different ways that the particles in a system can be arranged while still maintaining the same overall energy and macroscopic properties. They are important in Boltzmann's principle because they allow us to calculate the entropy of a system.

How do you count microstates in Boltzmann's principle?

To count microstates, you need to consider all possible arrangements of particles that are consistent with the macroscopic properties of the system. This can be a complex task, but it is often done using mathematical equations and statistical methods.

Why is counting microstates important in thermodynamics?

Counting microstates is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to calculate the entropy of a system. This information is crucial in understanding how a system will evolve over time and what factors contribute to its overall stability.

What are some real-world applications of Boltzmann's principle?

Boltzmann's principle has many real-world applications, including in the fields of chemistry, physics, and biology. It is used to study the behavior of gases, the properties of materials, and even the evolution of living organisms. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and material science.