1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy and thermodynamics question

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Planck famously argued that if identical particles are considered indistinguishable this would
    resolve Gibbs paradox by correcting for over-counting of the states. If the number of
    possible arrangements, W, of the N particles of an ideal gas at volume, V, and temperatureT
    with constant volume, heat capacity, C, is written as

W = T^(C/k) * V^N
    Then:

(a) Show, using Boltzmann's principle (S = k.lnW), that this leads to an expression for the entropy of an ideal classical gas that agrees with thermodynamics.

(b) define what is meant by indistinguishable in the context of plank's solutionand using the notaion of a homogeneous function of degree 1, describe what is meant by extensivity. Show mathematically why Plank's resolution appears to solve the paradox.

3. The attempt at a solution

Now for A it is clear that I should substitute W into the Bolzmann's principle. That is fine. But the resulting expression isn't like anything I have seen. All the entropy equations I have seen are more to do with heat exchange. I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

This one definitely belongs in the Advance section!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted