1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled oscillators - mode and mode co-ordinates

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    For this question I'm not going to introduce the particular problem I am working on, rather, I am merely wanting some explanation of a concept which I can't seem to find in any of my textbooks. I suspect the authors think it is just too obvious to bother explaining :smile:.

I'm revising for a test and have the full worked solutions for this problem in front of me. I can follow the mathematics, but not the reasoning behind it.

The question:

My worked solutions now say:

My question:

What exactly are q1 and q2, and why should these be equal to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \psi_{2}+\psi_{1} \right)[/tex] etc? Why [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}[/tex]? Is there a more specific name for this law that I could look up?

I hope my question is easily understandable! Thank you for your help.

(note: for the sets of equations relating q1 and q2 to m and x, there should be a "≡" sign rather than an "=" sign - for some reason my TEX formatting comes out with "8801;" rather than a "≡" sign. Odd.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    Formulae now fixed. I hope. Sorry if I confused anyone while I was editing things

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook