Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled Thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm currently working on my bachelor's thesis in mechanical engineering. I must simulate a brake model, which consist of 1 rotor and 1 stator. The rotor rotate around z-axis and the stator move along z-axis. When pressure is on stator placed. The stator and rotor will be pressed together.
    model.jpg
    i used Coupled Thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench with solid226, but the result seemed to be not so good since the min Temperature, which appear on knots near max Temperatur of both rotor and stator is cooler than reference Temperatur (22°C) and the Total Deformation of rotor is relatively large.
    temperatur_stator.jpg

temperatur_rotor.jpg

verformung_rotor.jpg
    I tried to reduce Net size and timestep but without success.
    Is there something wrong with my simulation? Can someone please help me. Thank you and sorry for my bad in english

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What boundary conditions are you applying to the model to prevent rigid body motion?

4. May 1, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your answer. Here is my boundary condition:
    2017-05-02_04-25-06.jpg
    In my model, i define rotor is a Revolute joint, which can only rotate around z-axis (I'm a beginner so I really confuse hier because i dont know, if this definition can prevent rigid body motion of rotor or i must apply another boundary condition. Do you have any advice?)

rotor.jpg
    And i set the surface, where pressure applied on stator as remote displacement with only z component free as below:

2017-05-02_04-23-57.jpg
    Thank you!

5. May 8, 2017 #4
    Hi all,
    i have solved the problems above but now i want to simulate a real model of aircraft multi discs brake with 6 stators and 5 rotors using coupled thermo-mechanic. It looks like:
    2017-05-09_02-35-11_1.jpg
    Boundary conditions:
    5 rotos move and rotate around z-axis
    5 stators move only along z-axis
    6th stator is fix
    Pressure 1Mpa is applied on 1st stator
    But the result is so strange due strange movement of the discs(rotors and stators) as the video below.

Can anyone pls help me. Thanks

6. May 9, 2017 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. May 9, 2017 #6
    Thank you for your advice I think maybe my problem is the definition of contact body and contact target. I defined 1st stator as contact body and 1st rotor as contact targen in 1st contact but in 2nd contact i define 1st rotor as contact body and 2nd rotor as contact target (???) ... and so on for next rotors and rotors. I will try to change it and pinball region too as you advised and tell the result tomorrow ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted