ANSYS Workbench: revolute joint problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a structural static analysis in ANSYS Workbench where the speaker is having trouble creating a revolute joint between two objects. They have tried multiple methods, including using a frictional contact, but are still facing issues with rotation. They ask for ideas on how to fix the issue and it is later revealed that the problem was due to an incorrect reference coordinate system.
tl_ccc
Hey folks,
I am doing a structural static analysis in ANSYS Workbench. A problem has troubled me for several days. Here it is: I would like to connect object 2 to object 1 by a revolute joint, which allows 2 to follow the movement of 1 and to rotate around this joint at the same time (under the effect of a spring pressed on 2, and the effect of an object 3 which is initially in contact with 2). The revolute joint is correctly defined, but it works as a fixed joint, which means 2 follows the movement of 1, however it cannot rotate around joint axis as defined.
I tried another method to create the model, by replacing the revolute joint by a frictional contact between the cylindrical surfaces of object 1 and 2. When object 2 is in contact with 3, the model works well (2 follows the movement of 1, and it rotates). However, when object 2 is no longer in contact with object 3, it moves but doesn't rotate.
Do you have any ideas what is wrong in my model? How could I realize the connection? (by revolute joint or frictional contact)
Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Solved! I didn't check the reference coordinate system. The Z axis was wrong.

1. How can I create a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench?

In ANSYS Workbench, you can create a revolute joint by using the "Joint" tool located in the "Connections" toolbox. Simply select the two bodies you want to connect and specify the type of joint as "Revolute".

2. How do I define the rotation axis for a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench?

To define the rotation axis for a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench, you can use the "Joint Coordinate System" tool. This allows you to specify the orientation of the joint in relation to the two connected bodies.

3. Can I add additional constraints to a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, you can add additional constraints to a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench by using the "Constraint" tool. This allows you to define the range of motion for the joint or add other restrictions such as force or torque limits.

4. How can I simulate the motion of a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench?

To simulate the motion of a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench, you can use the "Mechanism" tool. This allows you to define the input motion for the joint and analyze its behavior under different loading conditions.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench?

If you are experiencing issues with a revolute joint in ANSYS Workbench, you can use the "Joint Review" tool to analyze and troubleshoot the joint's behavior. This tool provides information on the joint's reaction forces, displacement, and other relevant data to help identify and resolve any issues.