Unable to get the expected result in Electro-thermal-Structural problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the coupling of Thermal-Electric and Transient Structural physics in Ansys Workbench V 14.5. The individual is supplying electric energy to a structure, causing it to heat up due to the Joule Thomson effect. They are applying voltage in a tabular form with four steps and notice only one-sided mechanical movement in the last step. After adjusting the Analysis Time and conducting a trial and error method, they were able to solve the problem.
jatin1990
Good Day,

I am working on a problem in which i am coupling "Thermal-Electric" physics with "Transient Structural" in Ansys workbench V 14.5. I am supplying electric energy(Voltage) to a structure which gets heats up due to Joule Thomson effect, and then i connect it's "Solution" to "Setup" tab of "Transient Structural". I am applying the voltage in the tabular form (0,0.01,0,0.01,0) having 4 number of steps with each step equals 0.1 sec. Since the supplied voltage is in alternate form i am getting corresponding alternate temperature variation in structure in alternate form during the whole simulation time period. But when i import the result to Transient structural then i do not find any corresponding alternate Mechanical deformation of the structure. In fact i get only one sided mechanical movement that too only in the last step(4th step ranging from 0.3 sec to 0.4 sec). It looks likes to me that Structural physics only showing the movement during the last time step as a result of which it looks like only unidirectional deformation. Yes i change the "Analysis Time"(under Transient> Imported Load> Imported Body Temperature) to 0.4 sec from it's default value of 1 sec. Both physics have same Analysis settings related to steps. I am attaching the screenshots of both the physics & "Imported body temperature" settings. Kindly notice in the picture of Transient Structural , you can note output only in the 4th step despite Electric-Thermal having output value in almost all 4 steps(except 1st step which is again mysterious to me, please give me reason of this one also).

Thank you for your time and efforts.Input supply Voltage http://tinypic.com/r/2ebdd95/8

Thermal-Electric physics-Temperature Result http://tinypic.com/r/2nq8l8g/8

Imported Body Temperature setttings http://tinypic.com/r/abpjdv/8

Transient Structural Physics -Deformation result http://tinypic.com/r/33u8wly/8

i solved the problem by hit and trial method. Very lengthy task but solved at last.

1. How can I troubleshoot when I am unable to get the expected result in an Electro-thermal-Structural problem?

There are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue. First, double check your input parameters and make sure they are accurate. Next, check for any errors or warnings in your simulation software. You may also want to review your mesh and make sure it is appropriate for the problem you are solving. Additionally, it may be helpful to compare your results to analytical solutions or results from a similar simulation to see if they align. If all else fails, reach out to colleagues or experts in the field for their insights.

2. Why am I getting unexpected or unrealistic results in my Electro-thermal-Structural simulation?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. One reason could be that the model you are using does not accurately represent the physical system you are trying to simulate. Another reason could be that your boundary conditions or material properties are incorrect or incomplete. It's also possible that there are errors in your simulation software or in your input parameters. It's important to carefully review all aspects of your simulation to identify the source of the issue.

3. What are the common sources of error in Electro-thermal-Structural simulations?

Some common sources of error in these types of simulations include incorrect or incomplete input parameters, inaccurate material properties, and inappropriate meshing. Other sources of error could include using a model that does not accurately represent the physical system, or using simulation software that is not suitable for the problem being solved. It's important to be thorough in reviewing all aspects of the simulation to avoid these errors.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my Electro-thermal-Structural simulation results?

To improve the accuracy of your simulation results, you can start by carefully selecting and validating your input parameters and material properties. It may also be helpful to refine your mesh and check for any errors or warnings in your simulation software. Additionally, comparing your results to analytical solutions or results from similar simulations can help identify any discrepancies. If possible, incorporating experimental data into your simulation can also improve the accuracy of your results.

5. What factors should I consider when setting up an Electro-thermal-Structural simulation?

When setting up an Electro-thermal-Structural simulation, it's important to consider the physical system you are trying to simulate and select a model that accurately represents it. You should also carefully select and validate your input parameters and material properties. Additionally, it's important to choose appropriate boundary conditions and refine your mesh to ensure accurate results. If possible, incorporating experimental data can also improve the accuracy of your simulation.