Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Coupling constant in Yang-Mills Lagrangian

1. Mar 23, 2017 #1
    The Yang-MIlls Lagrangian is given by ##\mathcal{L}_{\text{gauge}}
    = F_{\mu\nu}^{a}F^{\mu\nu a} + j_{\mu}^{a}A^{\mu a}.##

We can rescale ##A_{\mu}^{a} \to \frac{1}{g}A_{\mu}^{a}## and then we have ##\frac{1}{g^{2}}F_{\mu\nu}^{a}F^{\mu\nu a}.##

How does the second term change? Does the current have any effect on the pre-factor?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2017 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The second term is not in the Lgauge, but it's the coupling of the gauge fields with matter. If you simply rescale the gauge potential, then j is unaffected.

4. Mar 25, 2017 #3

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

If the interaction Lagrangian is written as [itex]J^{\mu a}A^{a}_{\mu}[/itex], then the coupling is hidden in the matter field current. For example, look at the QCD Lagrangian

[tex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4} F^{a}_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu a} + i \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} D_{\mu}\psi .[/tex] Expand this using [itex]D_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} - i g A^{a}_{\mu}T^{a}[/itex], you get

[tex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4} F^{a}_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu a} + i \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi + g A^{a}_{\mu} \left( \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu}T^{a}\psi \right) .[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted