Course Planning first year engineering

In summary, this course is about general science and calculus. You are advised to take apsc 1124, which is a course that covers engineering graphics.
sanhuy
Hi y'all, I have underlined the questions, bolded the important parts, and did both for an important question for your reading convienence.

let me give you a bit of my academic background so you understand my problem a bit better.

I am currently 20 years old and i decided i wanted to go to uni. I did a bunch of upgrading since i slacked off in high school, (intro to physics, intro to chem, University English (first year), pre calc algebra, pre calc) maintaining a gpa of 4.19 (everything is 4.33 except English which i got a 3.67) in the two semesters i took.

Currently enrolled in a general science degree and taking calculus 1, computer science, and or a condensed version of intro to engineering graphics (Have not decided yet this is the problem)

my problem is that its a rushed version and I am pretty ocd about getting good grades, i go crazy if i don't understand something, even if it is the littlest least important concept you can imagine. therefore I would like to increase my chances of getting a good grade and i would like to avoid taking a rushed version of this course.

My question is what is this course really about. I have read some things about it, mainly what is on my university site and it has not really told me much about it, i would like to know if this is hard maybe on a scale of 1-10 if that is possible, and also what kind of classwork we will be given and what will be tested on?

http://www.kpu.ca/calendar/2014-15/courses/apsc/index.html#apsc1151 << link to course calendar (apsc 1151)

It also says that it is recommended that i take apsc 1124 with this course in the calendar, is this something that you guys would recommend or will it not matter, and what exactly do you do in 1124 as well?

if this is the case i will have to take both of these courses in the fall semester since 1124 is only available in the fall then my schedule would look like this:

apsc 1124 ( intro to engineering 1 credit)
apsc 1151 ( intro to engineering graphics 3 credit) non rushed version
phys 1
chem 1
calc 2

instead of just

apsc 1124
phys 1
chem 1
calc 2

This will be my first semester in the actual engineering transfer program my college provides

So basically I am wondering if this schedule is too heavy to achieve a good grade (i.e. B+ > ) since its 5 courses 3 of which are considered to be difficult, at least for me.

I have talked to two different student advisors, and these advisors at my mediocre college don't know a single thing about this stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on how much time the labs take up. Last semester I took calc 1, chem 1, and physics 1. The lab for chem took up more than the rest of my classes combined.

Physics and Calc 2 can be a big load. Chem 1 isn't anything to worry about since you'll only need algebra to solve problems and the labs are usually straight forward. If it were me I'd tack on the Graphics class, but you're a better judge of your own abilities than I am. So just think about it hard and if you know you can't secure A's in your classes with a fifth one tacked on don't do it.

1. What courses do I need to take in my first year of engineering?

In general, first year engineering students are required to take courses in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and introductory engineering courses. These courses provide a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts and principles of engineering.

2. How many credits should I take in my first year of engineering?

Most engineering programs recommend taking 15-18 credits per semester in the first year. However, it is important to consider your own capabilities and workload when deciding on the number of credits to take. It is always better to prioritize understanding and excelling in your courses rather than taking on too heavy of a course load.

3. Can I choose my own courses in first year engineering?

In most cases, first year engineering students have a set schedule of courses that they are required to take. However, there may be some flexibility in elective courses or the order in which courses are taken. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the specific requirements and options for your program.

4. How do I know which courses are prerequisites for others?

Engineering courses often have specific prerequisite requirements, meaning you must have completed certain courses before enrolling in a higher-level course. These prerequisites can usually be found in the course catalog or on the department's website. It is important to plan your course schedule accordingly to ensure you have completed all necessary prerequisites.

5. Are there any resources available to help with course planning?

Yes, most engineering programs have academic advisors or counselors who can assist with course planning. They can also provide guidance on selecting courses, understanding prerequisites, and creating a balanced course load. Additionally, many schools offer resources such as study groups, tutoring services, and academic workshops to support students in their coursework.