Courses: Which one to choose for CMP?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the individual is deciding between courses in Analytical Mechanics, Introduction to Nuclear- and Particle Physics, and Programming for Physicists. They have ruled out the nuclear and particle physics course due to their interest in condensed matter physics. They are now trying to decide between the Analytical Mechanics and Programming for Physicists courses, with some considerations being that the lectures for Analytical Mechanics may conflict with their condensed matter physics course and that self-studying Analytical Mechanics may be an option.
Niles
Hi all.

I have to make a decision in ~1 month, whether I want a course in "Analytical Mechanics", "Introduction to Nuclear- and Particle Physics" and "Programming for Physicists".

The thing is, I wish to work in condensed matter physics (whether that may be computional, theoretical or experimental), which is why I have already ruled out "Introduction to Nuclaer- and Particle Physics".

This leaves the last two. Which ones do you think will benefit me most in the long run?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Analytical mechanics is very fundamental and important. Programming for physicists is probably a numerical methods class. Numerical methods are very important, but for the most part they're easy to learn ideas that can be self-taught and then implemented quickly. You'll need to learn both at some point, but since analytical mechanics is more fundamental I'd say to go for that.

Likes DeBangis21
Well, the thing is that I will also be following a course in CMP, and apparently the lectures of the CMP-course and Analytical Mechanics-course will be in the same days and same hours - so I have to choose which lectures I should go to! (This is not the case with the Computational-course)

And based on this, the Analytical Mechanics course will be self-studied in some way. This is why I thought last night that perhaps I should self-study Analytical-Mechanics, and take the Computational-course.

But do you think this is possible (i.e. possible to self-study Analytical Mechanics)?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a CMP course?

When choosing a CMP course, it is important to consider the course content, the instructor's qualifications, the course format (online or in-person), the duration, and any prerequisites.

2. How do I know which CMP course is right for my career goals?

To determine which CMP course is right for your career goals, consider the course's learning objectives and how they align with your career aspirations. Additionally, research the types of industries and job roles that typically require a CMP certification.

3. Are there any specific accreditations or certifications I should look for in a CMP course?

Yes, the Convention Industry Council's Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) certification is the most recognized and widely accepted accreditation for the meeting and event planning industry. Look for courses that are approved by this organization.

4. What level of experience is required for a CMP course?

There is no specific level of experience required for a CMP course, as it is open to both entry-level and experienced professionals. However, it is recommended that participants have at least two years of experience in the meeting and event planning industry.

5. Can I get college credit for completing a CMP course?

It depends on the specific course and institution offering it. Some CMP courses may offer college credit, while others may not. It is best to check with the course provider or your academic advisor for more information.