Covalent bonding - Energy gain

Homework Statement

I'm considering a molecule made by three atoms, each a vertex of an equilateral triangle. Each atom has a covalent bond with its neighbours, sharing their only valence electron. I must estimate the energy gain when creating the molecule, using tight binding theory.

Homework Equations

How much is the energy gain when the molecule is created?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used tight binding theory and named each atom's orbital |1>,|2> and |3>. Assuming that [tex] <i|H|j>=-t (hopping) [/tex] if [tex] i\neq j [/tex] and [tex] <i|H|j>= \epsilon _0 [/tex] if [tex] i=j [/tex]. I wrote my 3x3 matrix and calculated the eigenvalues which are-2t, t and t. The solutions tell that the energy gain is -2t-2t+t = -3t and I don't understand why.

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I wrote my 3x3 matrix and calculated the eigenvalues which are-2t, t and t.
Shouldn't each eigenvalue of ##H## also contain ##\epsilon_0##?
The solutions tell that the energy gain is -2t-2t+t = -3t and I don't understand why.
How many electrons can simultaneously occupy the lowest energy state?

The eigenvalues calculated are actually [tex] \tilde{E}=\epsilon _0 - E [/tex]
I guess only 2 electrons can occupy the same energy state, each with opposite spins.

Oh, since I have 3 electrons to distribute over the the orbitals, the lowest energy state (bonding orbital) is filled with 2 electrons, each one with energy -2t (smallest energy eigenvalue from the hamiltonian) and the other electron stays in a higher energy orbital (anti-bonding orbital), raising its energy by t, therefore -2t-2t+t = -3t.
Is that it?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Oh, since I have 3 electrons to distribute over the the orbitals, the lowest energy state (bonding orbital) is filled with 2 electrons, each one with energy -2t (smallest energy eigenvalue from the hamiltonian) and the other electron stays in a higher energy orbital (anti-bonding orbital), raising its energy by t, therefore -2t-2t+t = -3t.
Is that it?
Yes, that sound's right to me.