1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariance between data stats problem

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hi. At the moment in class we are going over statistics :yuck:

Anyway, the formula ive been using for covariance between two sets of data is:

[tex]
    s_{xy} = \frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {x_i y_i } - \overline x \overline y
    [/tex]

Now, if i was to get a question such as:

"If all the elements of set 'x' are multiplied by 'a', what is the new covariance"

Would this be a valid in mathematical terms:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    s_{xy} = \frac{1}{n}(ax_1 y_1 + ax_2 y_2 + ... + ax_n y_n ) - a\overline x \overline y \\
    = a[\frac{1}{n}(x_1 y_1 + x_2 y_2 + ... + x_n y_n ) - \overline x \overline y ] \\
    = a[\frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {x_i y_i } - \overline x \overline y ] \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Therefore, if the elements of the set of data are multiplied by a constant, the covariance is also changed by that same factor? Has my working been valid in terms of the summation notation. The reason i ask is because we've never worked much with summations, so im not 100% sure how to deal with them.

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your reasoning is fine. Summations are just sums.

4. Jul 30, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

Alright thanks for the confirmation. I just thought that maybe i was overlooking something, and had possibly made a mathematical error.

Thanks again.
    Dan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?