Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariance matrix of 2 matrices?

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    I have an [itex](m \times n)[/itex] complex matrix, [itex]\textbf{N}[/itex], whose elements are zero-mean random variables. I have a sort of covariance expression:

[itex]\mathcal{E}\left\{\textbf{N}\textbf{N}^H\right\} = \textbf{I}[/itex]

where [itex]\mathcal{E}\left\{\right\}[/itex] denotes expectation, [itex]\{\}^H[/itex] is conjugate transpose and [itex]\textbf{I}[/itex] is the identity matrix.

Basically, I want to know exactly what this tells me about the second order statistics of the elements of [itex]\textbf{N}[/itex]. For example, I know that if instead I just had an [itex](m \times 1)[/itex] vector, [itex]\textbf{n}[/itex], then an identity covariance matrix would imply that all the elements of [itex]\textbf{n}[/itex] have unit variance and are uncorrelated.

Can I make any similar deductions from the matrix equation, above? Many thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey weetabixharry.

To me an identity covariance matrix says that there is no covariance terms at all for the different permutations, but I would want to see the expanded definitions for each random variable just to be absolutely sure.

I'm not familiar with your matrix identity though, so I would need to put that into context of standard results concerning expanded definitions of the associated random variables.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No.

The covariance of an NxN matrix is a NxNxNxN cartesian tensor; a very ugly beast. Your NxN matrix is the equivalent of the diagonal of a covariance matrix for a Nx1 vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook