Covariance of Gaussian Process

In summary, the conversation is about determining non-degeneracy in a centered and stationary Gaussian process based on its covariance function. The question is whether there is a technique for determining this property and the examples provided show that the determinant of the variance-covariance matrix can be used as an indicator. However, the speaker believes there may be more to it and is open to other suggestions.
Palindrom
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes: based on the covariance function of some (centered, stationary) Gaussian process - how can one determine non-degeneracy (here I mean for any choice of a finite number of sampling times, the resulting RV is AC).

Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Palindrom said:
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes: based on the covariance function of some (centered, stationary) Gaussian process - how can one determine non-degeneracy (here I mean for any choice of a finite number of sampling times, the resulting RV is AC).

Ideas?

Naive(?) question. What is AC?

Sorry- AC is absolutely continuous.

Sample functions (which is what I think you mean by RV) of a stationary Gaussian process are in general not absolutely continuous. I can't give a reference, but if you think of Brownian motion as a model, it is very jerky.

No no - by RV I mean random vector. I just mean that for any choice of sampling times, the resulting covariance matrix is invertible.

I have never had to address this question, so I can't tell you. However if I remember correctly the matrix is positive semi-definite. That could help - it makes me suspect that it is invertible.

Not necessarily. Think of the random vector (X,X) for a standard normal X. The question of non-degeneracy for a Gaussian process is precisely this, and it's a pretty (basic and) important one when it comes to stochastic analysis. My problem is, as basic as it should
be, I have a specific covariance function and I'm struggling to “take off”...

Thanks anyway though!

Palindrom said:
Not necessarily. Think of the random vector (X,X) for a standard normal X. The question of non-degeneracy for a Gaussian process is precisely this, and it's a pretty (basic and) important one when it comes to stochastic analysis. My problem is, as basic as it should

Thanks anyway though!

I'm not sure I understand your question regarding sampling times for stationary processes. In any case, for the variance-covariance matrix of two independent random sample vectors [tex]X_{i},X_{j}[/tex] having an equal number of comparable components, the matrix is symmetric, non-negative definite and, unless it is singular, invertible.r

Last edited:
Palindrom said:

Thanks anyway though!
Is this example supposed to be a 2-vector with both components sampled at the same time? This would be the exception to the general statement. I suspect that as long as the vector components are samples at different times you will have an invertible matrix.

Of course not. A counter example would be a “constant” stochastic process, equal at all times to the same standard normal RV. And that's not the only counter example. It's definitely not a general property, it depends on the given process.

Palindrom said:
Of course not. A counter example would be a “constant” stochastic process, equal at all times to the same standard normal RV. And that's not the only counter example. It's definitely not a general property, it depends on the given process.

Covariance is defined for two random variables at the same mean times. A stationary process generally presumes a constant mean.
http://math.lbl.gov/~kourkina/math220/chapter4.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
How is that related to anything?

Palindrom said:
How is that related to anything?

I'll ignore your attitude for the benefit of others reading this thread. Singular v-c matrices may arise with sampling from standardized Gaussian stationary distributions. They can be dealt with analytically.

http://www.riskglossary.com/link/positive_definite_matrix.htm

I don't see how random sample timing or frequency comes in here, in terms of individual samples.

EDIT: I'm assuming you know that singular matrices can be identified by simply obtaining the determinant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually didn't mean to come off as having a bad attitude, but reading my post back I see how you could have gotten that feeling. Please accept my apology.

I really meant I don't see the connection between my question and what you wrote. I'm not talking about any random times, just about simple, basic non-degeneracy; for each n times t_1,...,t_n, the random vector X=(X_{t_1},...,X_{t_n}) has a density function. This can be otherwise stated as “the covariance matrix of X is invertible”.

Palindrom said:
I actually didn't mean to come off as having a bad attitude, but reading my post back I see how you could have gotten that feeling. Please accept my apology.

I really meant I don't see the connection between my question and what you wrote. I'm not talking about any random times, just about simple, basic non-degeneracy; for each n times t_1,...,t_n, the random vector X=(X_{t_1},...,X_{t_n}) has a density function. This can be otherwise stated as “the covariance matrix of X is invertible”.

Yes, this is almost always true for the variance-covariance matrix of any sample. However, given random sampling, it's possible that a singular (degenerate) matrix could be obtained. My second link shows how this can be handled analytically. If this is not your question, could you please rephrase it?

Based on a given covariance function for some centered and stationary Gaussian process (i.e. R(t,s)=EX_tX_s), is there an technique for determining whether or not the process X possesses the non-degeneracy described above?

As an example, if R(t,s)=1 for all s and t then the answer is “degenerate”, while for R(s,t)=min{s,t} the answer is “non-degenerate”.

Palindrom said:
Based on a given covariance function for some centered and stationary Gaussian process (i.e. R(t,s)=EX_tX_s), is there an technique for determining whether or not the process X possesses the non-degeneracy described above?

As an example, if R(t,s)=1 for all s and t then the answer is “degenerate”, while for R(s,t)=min{s,t} the answer is “non-degenerate”.

Well, it seems too simple, so I must be missing something. The determinant of the v-c matrix (or any matrix) of the components of a random vector will be zero if it is degenerate and non-zero if it's non-degenerate. If you're dealing with multiple matrices, the product of the determinants will be zero if at least one determinant is zero.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of covariance in a Gaussian process?

The covariance of a Gaussian process is a measure of the relationship between two points in a data set. It represents how much two points vary together and is a key component in understanding the behavior of a Gaussian process.

2. How is the covariance of a Gaussian process calculated?

The covariance of a Gaussian process is calculated using a kernel function, which measures the similarity between two points in the data set. The kernel function is typically chosen based on the characteristics of the data and the desired behavior of the Gaussian process.

3. What does a high covariance in a Gaussian process indicate?

A high covariance in a Gaussian process indicates a strong relationship between two points in the data set. This means that when one point increases, the other point is likely to increase as well. A high covariance can also indicate a high level of uncertainty in the data set.

4. How does the choice of kernel function affect the covariance of a Gaussian process?

The choice of kernel function can greatly affect the covariance of a Gaussian process. Different kernel functions can capture different types of relationships between data points, such as linear or nonlinear relationships. Choosing the appropriate kernel function is crucial in accurately modeling the data and obtaining meaningful results.

5. What is the significance of the covariance matrix in a Gaussian process?

The covariance matrix in a Gaussian process represents the covariance between all points in a data set. It is a key component in predicting the behavior of a Gaussian process and can provide insights into the relationships between different features in the data set. A well-calculated covariance matrix can improve the performance and accuracy of a Gaussian process model.