Binary Detection in Gaussian Noise

In summary, the conversation discusses using a finite number of discrete observations to determine whether a vector signal, x(t), is affected by only Gaussian noise or both Gaussian noise and a "non-noise" term, a*m(t). The scalar m(t) is zero-mean and has an unknown power. The elements of x(t) are independent of each other and of m(t). The conversation also mentions using Kalman filters to estimate the probability that a signal is present, taking into account both noise and non-noise components.
weetabixharry
I have a vector signal, [itex]\underline{x}(t)[/itex], which is afflicted with Gaussian noise [itex]\underline{n}(t)[/itex]. I take a finite number, [itex]L[/itex], of discrete observations and (based on those observations) want to determine whether:

(1) Only Gaussian noise is present, [itex]\left[\text{i.e. } \underline{x}(t) = \underline{n}(t)\right][/itex]
(2) Gaussian noise plus a "non-noise" term, [itex]\underline{a}m(t)[/itex], are both present. [itex]\left[\text{i.e. } \underline{x}(t) = \underline{a}m(t) + \underline{n}(t)\right][/itex]

The scalar, [itex]m(t)[/itex], is zero-mean and has unknown power (variance). The elements of [itex]\underline{x}(t)[/itex] are independent of each other and also independent of [itex]m(t)[/itex].

Given my observations, how can I estimate the probability that the signal is present?

Many thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey weetabixharry.

I'm not an expert, but I do recall the subject of Kalman filters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalman_filter

Basically you should check out these kind of things where you prefix a structure for your information that assumes some noise model (like White Gaussian) and then uses a filter to not only detect noise, but also the actual non-noisy information.

There are also non-linear variants of the filter.

1. What is binary detection in Gaussian noise?

Binary detection in Gaussian noise is a problem in signal processing where the goal is to determine whether a received signal contains a binary (yes/no) message hidden in a background of Gaussian (random) noise. This can be applied in various fields such as wireless communication, radar systems, and medical imaging.

2. How does binary detection in Gaussian noise work?

In binary detection, the received signal is compared to a predetermined threshold. If the signal is above the threshold, it is classified as a "1" or "yes" and if it is below the threshold, it is classified as a "0" or "no". This process is repeated for each sample in the received signal to recover the binary message hidden in the noise.

3. What are the challenges in binary detection in Gaussian noise?

The main challenge in binary detection in Gaussian noise is finding the optimal threshold. This requires knowledge of the signal and noise characteristics, as well as the desired trade-off between detection accuracy and false alarm rate. Additionally, the performance of the detection algorithm may be affected by factors such as channel noise, interference, and fading.

4. What are some techniques used for binary detection in Gaussian noise?

Some common techniques used for binary detection in Gaussian noise include matched filtering, energy detection, and maximum likelihood detection. These methods use statistical analysis and signal processing algorithms to optimize the threshold and improve the accuracy of the detection.

5. How is binary detection in Gaussian noise useful in real-world applications?

Binary detection in Gaussian noise is a fundamental problem in signal processing and has many practical applications. It is used in wireless communication systems to improve the reliability of data transmission, in radar systems to detect and track targets, and in medical imaging to remove noise and improve image quality. It is also an important concept in machine learning and data analysis for identifying patterns in noisy data.