Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant and Contravariant Rank-2 Tensors

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1
    Dear Fellows,

Do any one have an idea of whether there must be a system tensor in order to be able to transform from the covariant form of a certain tensor to its contravariant one?

This is a bit important to get rigid basics about tensors.

Schwartz Vandslire

-------------------------------------------------------
    Either to it correctly as required, or to pass it as required.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If by "system" tensor you mean "metric" tensor, then yes, in order to have covariant and contravariant vectors and tensors, you must have a metric tensor such that ai= gijaj.

A more general Riemann space may have a "Riemann connection" rather than a metric tensor but my understanding is that we do no talk about covariant and contravariant vectors and tensors in such a space.

4. Jan 6, 2007 #3
    Oh! Thanks!

But, HallsofIvy, let's talk, in special, in Minkoweski Space? I know that the latter is a physical concept, but, it refers to a special case which is 4 indices. What about transforming 4x4-Matrices (or Tensors, to be more precise), not only Vectors?

But I have a question please. Does the previous relation also apply to transforming position vectors (They are the basics of the coordinate system)?

What is the meaning of transforming a contravariant tensor to a covariant one?

Is there more than one type of multiplication WRITTEN IN TENSOR EQUATIONS?

Schwartz VANDSLIRE.:cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?