Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensors with both covariant and contravariant components

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    Hey all, I'm just starting into GR and learning about tensors. The idea of fully co/contravariant tensors makes sense to me, but I don't understand how a single tensor could have both covariant AND contravariant indices/components, since each component is represented by a number in each index. And yet there must be a mixture of sorts because of all the upper/lowercase indices in GR. Any illumination would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with and understand how a type (1,1) tensor is a linear map from the tangent vector space to itself?

4. May 13, 2015 #3
    I was not aware of that. Could you explain further or perhaps point me towards the right resources? I don't understand what it means for a tensor to have a tangent vector space. -_-

5. May 13, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The tensor does not have a tangent vector space, the underlying manifold does. Tangent vectors are what you would also call vectors or contravariant vectors. A linear map from the tangent vector space at a point of the manifold to itself is a type (1,1) tensor - it must be for the vectors to have the correct transformation properties.

6. May 13, 2015 #5
    What does it mean for a tensor to have an underlying manifold? And I would think that a linear mapping from a point to a point in vector space would simply be the kronecker delta, but maybe that is a type (1,1) among others?

7. May 13, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are studying GR you should be familiar with the concept of a manifold and vectors on the manifold, that is what we are dealing with is it not?

Yes, the Kronecker delta is a prime example of a type (1,1) tensor - it has one covariant and one contravariant index, but far from the only one.

8. May 13, 2015 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tensors are multilinear maps ##T:V^*\times\cdots\times V^*\times V\times\cdots\times V\to\mathbb R##, where V is a vector space and V* its dual space. In GR, and in differential geometry in general, V is the tangent space ##T_pM## of a smooth manifold M, at a point p in M. A tensor field is a map that takes each point p (in some subset of M) to a tensor at p.

9. May 18, 2015 #8

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that if you had a tensor where some indices were for distances or volumes (dx) and other indices were for rates or densities ( ∂y/∂x ), then the tensor would be a mixture of contravariant (dx) and covariant ( ∂y/∂x ). I am not well versed on this subject, so I don't have any real-world examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook