1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant/contravariant transform and metric tensor

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    H is a contravariant transformation matrix, M is a covariant transformation matrix, G is the metric tensor and G-1 is its inverse. Consider an oblique coordinates system with angle between the axes = α

I have G = 1/sin2α{(1 -cosα),(-cosα 1)} <- 2 x 2 matrix

I compute H = G*M where M = {(1 0), (cosα sinα)} and get H = {(1 -1/tanα),(0 1/sina)} which is what I expect.

Now I want go from H back to M so I compute M = G-1H

So by my reckoning G-1 = 1/sin4α{(1 cosα),(cosα 1)}

But when I multiply G-1 and H I don't get back to M. The is a 1/sin4α multiplying the whole thing.
    What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2
    When you say G is the metric tensor, the metric tensor converts contravariant to covariant? Or is it the other way around?

Actually, I think it's pretty clear that the issue is with your computed [itex]G^{-1}[/itex]. The operator [itex]G[/itex] has determinant 1. You've got an extra factor of [itex]1/\sin^2 \alpha[/itex] for some reason. Did you forget the prefactor from [itex]G[/itex] somewhere?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    contravariant = G * covariant
    covariant = G-1 * contravariant

If G = 1/sin2α{(1 -cosα),(-cosα 1)}

then wouldn't G-1 = (1/sin2α)(1/|detG|){(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}

which gives 1/sin4α{(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}

Now if I compute GG-1 I get 1/sin4{(sin2α 0),(0 sin2α)} which is equivalent to 1/sin2α{(1 0),(0 1)}

So I get the identity matrix multiplied by 1/sin2α which doesn't add up.

Incidentally, this question came up as a result of watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLmJE2bOy4

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4
    You're saying [itex]\det G = 1/\sin^2 \alpha[/itex]? Because it's not.

6. Sep 8, 2012 #5
    No, I thought I had 1/|detG| where |detG| = 1 - cos2α = sin2α

7. Sep 8, 2012 #6
    It's not [itex]\sin^2 \alpha[/itex] either. Why don't you go through the whole calculation of the determinant?

8. Sep 8, 2012 #7
    G = 1/sin2a{(1 -cosa),(-cosa 1)} = {(1/sin2a -cosa/sin2a),(-cosa/sin2a 1/sin2a)}
    detG = 1/sin4a - cos2a/sin4a = 1/sin2a
    Thus, 1/|detG| = sin2a
    So G-1 = sin2a{(1 +cosa),(+cosa 1)}
    Now GG-1 does equal the identity matrix. Am I good so far? If so I will return to my original question in the next post.

9. Sep 8, 2012 #8
    Okay, now that you're getting the identity for [itex]GG^{-1}[/itex], I expect the problems you were having will be resolved.

10. Sep 9, 2012 #9
    Yes, I got it to work when I used the form G-1 = sin2α(1 +cosα),(+cosα 1)}. If I use G-1 = {(sin2α +cosα.sin2α),(cosα.sin2α,1)} it doesn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook