Crashed Android on ZTE Phone -- How to read Log files

In summary, the customer's phone is not loading the operating system, not completing POST, and giving him an Android Recovery error message. He attached portions of the first file to his message, which is a log of the phone's last activities. He says that he is assuming the phone is not operational because it is not loading the operating system. He has tried to fix the problem by using different methods, but all of them have failed. He has been in contact with the customer's tech support, and they have been great. The customer's phone is now working fine, but he is curious if he can load the operating system on another phone, using a USB.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
My Android ZTE phone is not loading the OS, not completing POST andgiving me an Android Recovery error message . How can I read/use log files to recover phone? Here is the error message, and the files listed in it, which I can access using on/volume keys (On key selects, Volume allows me to scroll up/down):

It is giving me access to some recovery files:
/cache/recovery/last_log
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg
/cache/recovery/last_log.1
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg.1
/cache/recovery/last_log.2
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg.2

There is also a message about phone being stuck in recovery mode.

( I would include a pic file here...but I cannot access regular phone functions)
I attach portions of the first file: /cache/recovery/last_log .
I appreciate any suggestion for how to use any of above files to restart phone.

Attachments

• IMG-0126.JPG
    IMG-0126.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG-0127.JPG
    IMG-0127.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG-0128.JPG
    IMG-0128.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG-0129.JPG
    IMG-0129.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG-0130.JPG
    IMG-0130.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG-0124.JPG
    IMG-0124.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG-0125.JPG
    IMG-0125.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 509
Computer science news on Phys.org
First I’d say it’s time to get a new phone.

Next what did you do that caused this situation? Did you install a new app? Did you get some malware? Did you drop the phone? Just trying to find out what may have caused it.

For this brand of phone, have you checked online if others have gotten the same problem?

Lastly, perhaps it would be better to bring it to a service center and get the screen fixed too.

You might want to connect it to a computer and see if you can retrieve your key files before turning it over to service.

Likes WWGD
jedishrfu said:
First I’d say it’s time to get a new phone.

Next what did you do that caused this situation? Did you install a new app? Did you get some malware? Did you drop the phone? Just trying to find out what may have caused it.

For this brand of phone, have you checked online if others have gotten the same problem?

Lastly, perhaps it would be better to bring it to a service center and get the screen fixed too.

You might want to connect it to a computer and see if you can retrieve your key files before turning it over to service.

I posted it a few days back and I got nothing . I guess Android source and CLI seem to be a bit far out for most. I will check again tomorrow.

I’ve accessed developer mode on an android tablet but haven’t experienced the failure you have. I used the ADK and processing to create a simple app for the Nexus 7. The funny part I remember was tapping on The build number? 7 times to activate developer mod. On the Nexus 10 you had to tap 10 times. I guess google developers were having some fun with these magic incantations.

Likes WWGD
jedishrfu said:
I’ve accessed developer mode on an android tablet but haven’t experienced the failure you have. I used the ADK and processing to create a simple app for the Nexus 7. The funny part I remember was tapping on The build number? 7 times to activate developer mod. On the Nexus 10 you had to tap 10 times. I guess google developers were having some fun with these magic incantations.
Thanks man, you have been overall great tech support. I keep learning from my crashed thanks to your comments/advice :).

jedishrfu said:
Do you think I may be able to load the OS from another phone, using a USB? I have the impression that my phone cannot load up Android, but I think it only looks in the hard drive. Maybe if I connect it to another phone, or to a PC where I have a copy of it, my phone may be able to load Android from them?

You really need to tell me how to do this trick -- the one you have done 3 times already:
I post my issue here, get some replies and then the problem is magically fixed: phone is working
fine, rebooted without any issue, only thing is that date was wrong ( I fixed it in 3 sec.)
Anyway, thanks, (Tech) witch doc.

Likes jedishrfu
WWGD said:
You really need to tell me how to do this trick -- the one you have done 3 times already:
I post my issue here, get some replies and then the problem is magically fixed: phone is working
fine, rebooted without any issue, only thing is that date was wrong ( I fixed it in 3 sec.)
Anyway, thanks, (Tech) witch doc.

Uh, it has to do with time travel and wormholes but I digress.

Likes WWGD

1. Why did my ZTE phone crash?

There can be various reasons for a ZTE phone to crash, including software issues, hardware problems, or a combination of both. Some common causes include outdated software, corrupted files, or insufficient memory.

2. How can I access the log files on my crashed ZTE phone?

To access the log files on your ZTE phone, you will need to enable developer options and USB debugging. Once enabled, you can use Android Debug Bridge (ADB) commands to pull the log files from your phone to your computer.

3. What information can I find in the log files?

The log files on your ZTE phone contain detailed information about the system processes, hardware events, and any errors or crashes that have occurred. They can help identify the root cause of the crash and provide valuable insights for troubleshooting.

4. How can I read the log files on my ZTE phone?

To read the log files on your ZTE phone, you will need a text editor or specialized log viewer software. These tools allow you to search, filter, and analyze the log files to pinpoint the cause of the crash and potential solutions.

5. Can I prevent my ZTE phone from crashing in the future?

While it's not always possible to prevent a phone from crashing, there are some steps you can take to reduce the chances. These include regularly updating your software, clearing out unnecessary files and apps, and avoiding overloading the phone's memory with too many tasks or processes.