Create a "PF Hall of Fame" to Honor PF Members

  • Thread starter Thread starter marlon
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 5K views
marlon
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
11
Just an idea that pops out of my head : how about making some sort of "hall of fame" to remember all PF members that were once a guru ?

Greets
marlon
 
Physics news on Phys.org
marlon said:
Just an idea that pops out of my head : how about making some sort of "hall of fame" to remember all PF members that were once a guru ?

Greets
marlon
No ulterior motive there marlon? :wink: Only joking, I think its a good idea, after all past staff have a "retired staff" medal, so I think it is only fitting that past gurus should be honored.
 
Sounds like a good idea to me! I tip my cap to the all gurus, past and present.
 
Hootenanny said:
No ulterior motive there marlon? :wink:
Ofcourse not :wink: :wink:

marlon
 
I agree. People's efforts shouldn't be forgotten just because we give someone else a turn for recognition. I think the difficulty is that we don't exactly have a record of all the previous gurus (I think this was suggested last year too, and that was the same reason it wasn't implemented then). If we could remember the complete list :frown: we'd have done it already.
 
Moonbear said:
I agree. People's efforts shouldn't be forgotten just because we give someone else a turn for recognition. I think the difficulty is that we don't exactly have a record of all the previous gurus (I think this was suggested last year too, and that was the same reason it wasn't implemented then). If we could remember the complete list :frown: we'd have done it already.

I understand but i think that is easy to find out no ? Just open a new thread here and ask who was a guru before this year. Maybe some people will try to "lie" but also that must be quite easy to figure out since guru's will be well known here on PF.

Also, we could just start from last year's guru's (most people will still remember them) and gradually fill in the guru's of the years before.

marlon
 
marlon said:
I understand but i think that is easy to find out no ? Just open a new thread here and ask who was a guru before this year. Maybe some people will try to "lie" but also that must be quite easy to figure out since guru's will be well known here on PF.

Also, we could just start from last year's guru's (most people will still remember them) and gradually fill in the guru's of the years before.

marlon

I guess we could just ignore those who have moved on already. :wink:
 
Moonbear said:
I guess we could just ignore those who have moved on already. :wink:
:smile:


:wink: :wink:

got it

marlon
 
I, for one, as a newcomer, would be very interested to know about those who founded and perpetuated this site. I think that a 'Mentors Hall' or something would be very appropriate. It would also give a perspective of the integrity of this site to newbies who might not realize how serious it is.
 
Danger said:
It would also give a perspective of the integrity of this site to newbies who might not realize how serious it is.

Bingo.

I'm in favour of this idea as well.
 
Danger said:
I, for one, as a newcomer, would be very interested to know about those who founded and perpetuated this site. I think that a 'Mentors Hall' or something would be very appropriate. It would also give a perspective of the integrity of this site to newbies who might not realize how serious it is.

We have discussed a medal under the names of former mentors to recognize their past service...I have to look around for one of their posts to see if that was implemented.
 
Moonbear said:
We have discussed a medal under the names of former mentors to recognize their past service...I have to look around for one of their posts to see if that was implemented.
Yes, look at gokul, it says "retired staff".

If we put another ribbon up there for "former guru", gokul's list of honors will scroll off the page. :biggrin:
 
Moonbear said:
We have discussed a medal under the names of former mentors to recognize their past service...I have to look around for one of their posts to see if that was implemented.


<-----------
 
:smile: "Retired" makes you sound old and ready for the rocking chair! :biggrin:
 
Moonbear said:
:smile: "Retired" makes you sound old and ready for the rocking chair! :biggrin:

NONO, let's NOT use "retired" but "emeritus", like robphy suggested...Makes us look intelligent :wink:


marlon
 
Yes, yes. Some newbies are not wanting to make smart-alecky comments that they later want to choke on when they realize that they aren't talking to someone even more ignorant than they are...

Lorsh, the mortification I felt when I told off HallsofIvy for something in math :blushing:. Little Ribbons Wanted.