Creating a Prototype: Formula & Knowledge for Determining Scale

• Thread starter javierngkh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    prototype
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a prototype that includes a working water pump and needs to be able to withstand loading. The person is seeking information on the formulas and knowledge required to determine the exact scale of the prototype. They mention being an undergraduate student and needing to work with real life industry players. The conversation also mentions the use of CAD software for designing the model and suggests using Autodesk, which has a student software program. The importance of considering fluid flow at different scales is also mentioned.
javierngkh
Hi,

I am in the midst of creating a prototype. It is a true model. May I know what are the formulas and knowledge i require to determining the exact scale of my prototype? My model needs to include a working water pump, as well as able to withstand loading.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Is this a project for school? if so what grade level? What kind of model are you planning to develop?

Thanks! The level is undergraduate but the product is to be used with real life industry players. It is a water pump. Do I use dimensional analysis?

I am not an engineering student btw.

As a side question, will the fluid flow scale proportionally with the size of the model?

yeah in the case of a pump prototype you need to be at a scale it does what you intend it to on the full scale model. which might very well mean full scale depending on the fluids.

oh and autodesk has a student software program so students can use a student version of the software as long as they are registered students and keep the output marked as produced by student version.

1. What is a prototype?

A prototype is a preliminary version of a product or idea that is used to test and evaluate its design and functionality before it is mass produced or implemented.

2. Why is it important to create a prototype?

Creating a prototype allows for the identification and resolution of any potential design flaws or technical issues before the product or idea is fully developed. It also provides an opportunity for feedback and improvements from stakeholders and potential users.

3. How do I determine the scale for my prototype?

The scale of a prototype is determined by the desired level of detail and functionality needed for testing. It can be determined by considering the size and complexity of the final product, as well as the resources available for creating the prototype.

4. What is the formula for determining the scale of a prototype?

The formula for determining the scale of a prototype is: Prototype Scale = Final Product Scale x Prototype Material Density ÷ Final Product Material Density. This formula takes into account the material properties and densities of both the prototype and final product.

5. Can the scale of a prototype be changed during the testing process?

Yes, the scale of a prototype can be changed during the testing process if necessary. This may be due to design changes or new information that requires a different level of detail for the prototype. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact of changing the scale on the accuracy and usefulness of the test results.