1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a Simple Room Security System

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    1. The challenge is to create a simple security system using only resistors, a very thin wire, 12 AAA batteries, and a piezoelectric buzzer.

2. The attempt at a solution

I recall reading that if a resistor is placed mid-wire in an alarm system, it will not detect any problems, such as a person trespassing or breaking in.

I did a little bit of research and came across a pdf that highlights a few points towards building an alarm.

My input source would be the batteries to provide a voltage to power the alarm. The output would be the piezoelectric buzzer. What remains is designing the system.

Can someone help me out with this? I need to do this extra credit to salvage my grade in that class.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the idea is that when someone opens a window it breakes the thin wire and that sounds the alarm?

So design a circuit that sounds the alarm all the time but which can be turned off by shorting out a component with a wire.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3
    That's pretty much the idea. Sort of like a burglar alarm. The only components allowed are:

1) Resistors of 1k
    2) Wire w/ resistance of 1ohm
    3) A piezo electric buzzer.
    4) 12 AAA 1.5V batteries

My initial rough draft was a square with a ground at the leftmost corner and a resistor at the remaining three corners. There were 3 AAA batteries that I put in the middle of one side to act as the voltage source. I was thinking that the side with the batteries could be the entry point.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you draw that. You didn't mention thepiezo in your description of the circuit.

I see no need to distribute components around the room on a simple design. Is there more to the question? Such as a need to detect tampering?

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5
    I can show you the PSPICE diagram that I created for it. I'll attach that. That alarm is suppose to attack as a sensor for any window that is broken or opened.

Attached Files:

7. Oct 22, 2012 #6
    No one has any suggestions?...

8. Oct 22, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What about the suggestion in post #2?

9. Oct 23, 2012 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't see the top of that diagram but there doesn't appear to be a buzzer in the circuit but if there is it appears to sound all the time until the circuit is broken.

10. Oct 25, 2012 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook