Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a title in Latex while using two columns

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    I want to create a title that spans the entire width of the page and then below the title, I want the actual text to be in two columns. I am currently using \documentclass[twocolumn]{article}, which puts the entire document into two columns, including the title, which is now in the left column. I want it like this:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1003/1003.1113v2.pdf [Broken]

Anyone know how to do this? I don't want to use the multicol package, because I'll have to redo the entire layout.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The title shouldn't be in the left column. Are you using the \maketitle command properly?

By the way, in order to get a paper that looks like the one you quote, you should look at revtex (http://authors.aps.org/revtex4/).

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    Q: When I look for revtex in the ubuntu repositories, it is described as "obsolete":
    Any idea why that might be or what (if anything) is supposed to replace it?

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4

Hepth

Gold Member

Well, the article in question is in revtex4, you can download its source if you need an example. (from the arxiv, this articles "source" should be renamed to a .gz, which is a zip and then extracted. its some eps figures and the tex.)

They're just using
    \documentclass[twocolumn,preprintnumbers,amsmath,amssymb]{revtex4}
    \title{
    On the use of X-ray telescopes for identifying the origin of electrons
    and positrons observed by Fermi and PAMELA}

basically.

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5
    I wasn't using \maketitle at all, but it works now that I added it. Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook