Creating Flange or Variable Delay DSP model

In summary, the conversation is about creating a variable delay model or "flanger" effect using simulink. The difference equation and time varying delay for the flange effect are also mentioned. The person is having trouble implementing the effect and is seeking help and suggestions.
Evo8

Homework Statement

Im trying to model this in simulink. I am having a little trouble getting things to work. I need to create a variable delay model or basically implement a "flanger" effect.

Flange
A flange is an audio effect, which is achieved by combining two identical signals with each other; the original and delayed signal by a gradually changing amount. The difference equation for the flange effect is given by:
$$x(n)a*[x(n)+x(n-d(n))]$$

Where the time varying delay is given by
$$d(n)=D+\frac{D}{2}[1-sin(\frac{2 \pi f_{d} n}{f_{s}})]$$

Where
- D is a fixed delay,
- fd is the flanging frequency

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I have right now.
attachment.php?attachmentid=44754&stc=1&d=1330989285.png

The parameters of the Variable fractional delay block are here:
attachment.php?attachmentid=44755&stc=1&d=1330989285.png

Im basically trying to mimic that equation with math operators. I am told that it should do the trick. However it doesn't. I am not sure where I am going wrong. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

E

Attachments

• Flange_simulation.png
    Flange_simulation.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 827
  • Variable_fractional_delay.png
    Variable_fractional_delay.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 883
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not have much experience with simulink, but it seems to me that your model should work.

What does it do now?
Or what exactly doesn't it do?

What is a Flange DSP model?

A Flange DSP model is an audio effect that creates a swirling, whooshing sound by delaying a signal and then mixing it back with the original signal. It adds a unique texture and movement to the audio signal.

What is a Variable Delay DSP model?

A Variable Delay DSP model is an audio effect that allows the user to control the amount and timing of the delay applied to a signal. This can create a variety of effects, such as echo, chorus, or reverb.

How do you create a Flange DSP model?

To create a Flange DSP model, you will need to use digital signal processing techniques to delay a signal and then mix it back with the original signal. This can be done using software or hardware, and the parameters of the effect can be adjusted to achieve the desired sound.

How do you create a Variable Delay DSP model?

To create a Variable Delay DSP model, you will need to use digital signal processing techniques to delay a signal and then mix it back with the original signal. This can be done using software or hardware, and the parameters of the effect can be adjusted to control the amount, timing, and feedback of the delay.

What are some common applications of Flange and Variable Delay DSP models?

Flange and Variable Delay DSP models are commonly used in music production and sound design to add depth, movement, and texture to audio signals. They can also be used in live performances to create unique effects in real-time. Additionally, these models can be used in audio post-production for film, television, and video games to enhance the overall sound design.