Creative solution to a physics problem

• Thread starter deerhake.11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Five marks for old folks in a bank, eh?In summary, the answer is that if you connect several light bulbs in a series, nothing will happen.
deerhake.11
This was posted on digg and I don't remember seeing it on here, so i thought I'd share:

http://www.robmonroe.net/upload/2007/1/24/elephantintheway.jpg [Broken]

:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Does the object continue to move after it comes to a rest?"...:rofl:

theCandyman said:
"Does the object continue to move after it comes to a rest?"

...:rofl:

Indeed the question is almost as dumb as the answer.

Why?

texttttt

I love it.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Why?

texttttt

It could have been worded better do you not think?

I'm surprised they'd give five points for the second part of that question. It's obvious by inspection. You read the word "frictionless", and the question answers itself.

Kurdt said:
It could have been worded better do you not think?

Whats wrong with the wording?

cyrusabdollahi said:

Think like a normal person (i.e., one who does not recognize that it only comes to rest for an instant of time). Something that has come to rest has ceased moving. By definition, it will not be moving after it has come to rest.

Interesting aside: the quickest way to reconcile the two perspectives is to point out there is no "after" associated with the rest in question. The time spent at rest is zero.

The question is written the way it is to see who knows the material. If the question said, comes to a rest instantaneously, I think it would be obvious to everyone that its going to move again.

cyrusabdollahi said:

Would you expect five marks for answering no? Evidentally the person who completed the question thought this could be remedied :rofl:

If you put no, you would get a zero. Elephants or not.

Consider this, does this system ever come to a complete rest?

No, it does not. So there can ONLY be one solution implied in the question the way it is written.

LOL.

Qns : What would happen if you connected several light bulbs in a series?

Ans : Nothing, you didn't connect it to a battery.

twisting_edge said:
Think like a normal person (i.e., one who does not recognize that it only comes to rest for an instant of time). Something that has come to rest has ceased moving. By definition, it will not be moving after it has come to rest.

Interesting aside: the quickest way to reconcile the two perspectives is to point out there is no "after" associated with the rest in question. The time spent at rest is zero.

Even old folks in a bank know that:

Now, what's it going to be young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground? 'Cause if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'm going to be in motion.

What is a creative solution to a physics problem?

A creative solution to a physics problem is a unique and innovative approach to solving a problem that may not have a straightforward or traditional solution. It often involves thinking outside of the box and utilizing creative thinking skills.

How can creativity be helpful in solving physics problems?

Creativity can be helpful in solving physics problems because it allows us to explore different perspectives and consider unconventional solutions. This can lead to breakthroughs and new discoveries that may not have been possible with traditional problem-solving methods.

What are some techniques for coming up with creative solutions to physics problems?

Some techniques for coming up with creative solutions to physics problems include brainstorming, mind mapping, lateral thinking, and analogical reasoning. It can also be helpful to take breaks and approach the problem from different angles.

Can anyone be creative in solving physics problems?

Yes, anyone can be creative in solving physics problems. Creativity is a skill that can be developed and improved with practice. It is important to have an open mind and be willing to experiment and try new approaches.

Why is it important to find creative solutions to physics problems?

Finding creative solutions to physics problems is important because it can lead to advancements in science and technology, improve our understanding of the world, and help us tackle complex problems that may have seemed unsolvable using traditional methods. It also encourages critical thinking and innovation.