Credit transfer - BU and Cornell

• Thread starter donpacino
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is considering taking a course at BU and transferring the credit to their masters program at Cornell. They are also considering a second degree at BU in the future, but are unsure if the credit from the previous course can be used towards that degree. They question how universities keep track of transferred credits and if there is a limit to how recent the credit can be. They mention that there may be limitations on using old credits towards a degree.
donpacino
Gold Member
Hola,

I am working on a masters degree at Cornell. There is a class offered at BU that I am interested in taking. After speaking to representatives from both schools I decided to take the course and transfer the credit to cornell (this was approved by both schools).

I am considering going for a second degree later on at BU. If I transfer that class credit for cornell, can I use it in the future to a degree at BU. I'm 99% sure that answer is NO.

So my main question, if that is indeed true, is how do universities keep track of that info. When you transfer a credit, I thought all you did was send proof of the class and grade to the other university.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
donpacino said:
So my main question, if that is indeed true, is how do universities keep track of that info. When you transfer a credit, I thought all you did was send proof of the class and grade to the other university.
It's a very good question. I bet there is a limit to how recent a credit is to be eligible for transfer and for that matter counting towards a degree. If I take a class at a college this year and then in five years pick the program back up, I doubt they let me count that credit :)

1. Can credits from Boston University (BU) be transferred to Cornell University?

Yes, credits from BU can be transferred to Cornell University as long as they meet the transfer credit requirements set by Cornell. These requirements include a minimum grade of C- for the course, and the course must be similar in content and rigor to courses offered at Cornell.

2. How many credits can be transferred from BU to Cornell?

The maximum number of credits that can be transferred from BU to Cornell is 60. However, the actual number of credits accepted for transfer may vary depending on the program and major at Cornell.

3. Do credits from BU count towards my GPA at Cornell?

No, transferred credits from BU will not be factored into your GPA at Cornell. They will only count towards fulfilling degree requirements.

4. Can I transfer credits from BU to Cornell if I am a graduate student?

Yes, graduate students are also able to transfer credits from BU to Cornell, but the requirements and maximum number of credits may be different. It is best to check with your specific graduate program at Cornell for more information.

5. How do I initiate the credit transfer process between BU and Cornell?

To initiate the credit transfer process, you will need to contact the Admissions or Registrar's office at Cornell and provide them with official transcripts from BU. They will then review your courses and determine which credits are eligible for transfer. It is recommended to start this process early to ensure a smooth transition.