Crimson Snow Algae: Ancient Reports & Impact of Climate Change

• Thread starter 256bits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algae
In summary, Red snow in Antartica is caused by a type of algae that can thrive in cold environments. It was first reported in antiquity. This type of snow is not new, and has been seen in other places around the world.
256bits
Gold Member
There was/is a recent report of red snow in Antartica, Ukranian Research station Verdnasky which got me interested.
I had never heard of this phenomenom before.
While some colored snow can be attributed to mineral content, this particular red snow is biological in origin.

Apparantly reports go as far back in antiquity as reports from Aristotle, so it's nothing at all that new.
This type of red snow is caused by the red pigment produced in a green algae chlamydomonas nivalis able to thrive in cold environments in the Arctic, Antarctic, and high altitudes. The red pigment protects the cell from ultraviolet radiation from the sun in the summer months with more sunlight and liquid water when the algae comes out of its dormant state. Buried beneath a snow cover, flagellate cells move towards the surface.

One discussion, of many.
https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...on-ukraine-algae-climate-change-a9361091.html

Wiki also has an article, and includes the report from an expedition to the Arctic in 1818, Captain John Ross.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_snow

I had always considered snow to be pretty much lifeless, but some estimates are of a million of these creatures in teaspoon of meltwater.

If anyone has anything to add feel free to do so.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I have seen this in the Canadian Rockies.
The wiki says "Red-snow algae have been shown experimentally to be limited by both nutrients (N, P, and K) and liquid water" but does not say where the nutrients come from.

Likes 256bits
You have seen it, must be extraordinaire.
Snow does contain some dust particles.
If you melt snow there is always a bit of 'mud' at the bottom of the container.
There might be enough dissolved in the water for the critters to chow down on for the mineral content.
A chemical analysis of melt water would be in order.

I've seen this phenomenon a lot the Washington Cascades and Olympics on the surfaces of glaciers. The only nutrients I can think of must come from wind-blown pollen or dust or anything else carried by the wind. In the late spring, when the temps rise, glacier surfaces form "sun cups," local depressions in the snow a foot or two wide. Any dust or pollen would tend to settle in these sun cups, possibly providing nutrients for the algae. Although the surface of a glacier is pretty barren, it's amazing how many living organisms it supports. I've seen spiders walking around, as well as what we called ice worms, small worms about 1/4" long that live in the snow. During the day they come up by the thousands, but burrow down in the snow at nightfall.

In the Andes, the dryness and clear skies cause extreme sun cups, called "nieves penitentes," as shown in the photo.
nieves.jpg

Likes 256bits
Mark44 said:
penitentes
espojado-Domingo-Ramos_1345677812_98060884_667x375.jpg

Penitentes de Jesús Despojado en el cortejo de este Domingo de Ramos. / JULIO GONZÁLEZ

Likes 256bits
Keith_McClary said:
View attachment 258086
Penitentes de Jesús Despojado en el cortejo de este Domingo de Ramos. / JULIO GONZÁLEZ
Right, and this is how the snow features got their names.

Likes 256bits
This is more interesting than I thought it would be.

Here is a write up from the Ottawa Citizen on Science of Winter - Why are there tiny insects in the snow(2017)
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/science-of-winter-why-are-there-tiny-insects-in-the-snow

It doesn't really explain why, but does mention the spiders.
Seems to be a thriving community at certain times of winter, and free from most, if any, predators for these cold loving insects.

I was looking for the metabolism of these insects and how they can move muscles at low temperatures.
Wiki, does give some thrmo regulation examples, but not for the cold temperature type.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_thermoregulation

This gives some adaptations of cold-hardy insects.
Interesting read. Anti-freeze, diapause, mitochondrial degradation...
http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/arctic47-4-391.pdf?origin=publication_detail

History - During the lat 1700's and early 1800's New Mexico was cut off from the outside by geography and hostile neighbors. Most of the churches there diverged from standard Catholicism - they were called the Penitentes. They practiced self flagellation, for example. The church buildings still stand, and are known as Moradas. The one near my house had services on St Dorotea's day up until the year 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penitentes_(New_Mexico)

Biology: There is an area of study on extremophiles, species that arise because of the existence of very hostile and vacant ecological niches. Places that do not have any competition from other species. And no predation.
Example:
Nematode (roundworm) , Halicephalobus mephisto - the Devil worm, that lives miles down in tiny crevices in solid rock. It was first discovered in a gold mine 3 miles down in solid rock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halicephalobus_mephisto

Last edited:
Likes 256bits and BillTre

1. What is Crimson Snow Algae?

Crimson Snow Algae is a type of algae that grows on snow and ice surfaces in cold environments. It is characterized by its red or pink color, which is caused by a pigment that protects the algae from intense sunlight.

2. How does Crimson Snow Algae impact climate change?

Crimson Snow Algae plays a crucial role in the Earth's carbon cycle. It absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere through photosynthesis, helping to reduce the amount of this greenhouse gas in the air. Additionally, the red color of the algae reduces the amount of sunlight reflected off of snow and ice, causing them to absorb more heat and contributing to the melting of glaciers and ice sheets.

3. What are some ancient reports of Crimson Snow Algae?

Crimson Snow Algae has been observed and documented by explorers and scientists for centuries. In the 1800s, British explorer Sir Francis Younghusband reported seeing red snow in the Himalayas. In the early 1900s, Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen noted the presence of red snow in the Arctic. More recently, scientists have found ancient samples of Crimson Snow Algae in ice cores dating back thousands of years.

4. How does climate change affect the growth of Crimson Snow Algae?

As temperatures continue to rise due to climate change, the amount of snow and ice on Earth's surface decreases. This can lead to a decrease in the habitat available for Crimson Snow Algae to grow. Additionally, warmer temperatures can also cause the algae to bloom earlier in the season, which can disrupt the timing of other important ecological processes.

5. Can Crimson Snow Algae be used to mitigate the effects of climate change?

While Crimson Snow Algae does have the ability to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, it is not a viable solution for mitigating the effects of climate change. The amount of algae needed to make a significant impact would be unrealistic to cultivate and maintain. Additionally, changes in the algae's growth patterns due to climate change could also hinder its ability to effectively absorb carbon dioxide.

Back