Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Criss-cross multiple double slit experiment paths?

1. Dec 26, 2016 #1
    Has someone attempted to criss-cross multiple double slit experiment paths? The purpose would be to mix paths of observed and free particles. I want to know if clumps and fringes appear everywhere or we would get something new.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Cross-cross multiple double slits? Mix paths of observed and free particles?

What are these?

If you want interference patterns from multiple slits, what is wrong with the current multi-slit experiments that we already have? Diffraction grating experiments are almost standard intro physics lab exercise.

Zz.

4. Dec 26, 2016 #3
    Nothing interesting would happen. A particle's wavefunction interferes only with itself, not with another's, even of the same type. So the only effect would be that two particles from the two "criss-crossed emitters" (so to speak) might collide, or influence each other's path by electromagnetic repulsion if they had a charge. That would simply cause them not to hit the detector (probably) and, if they did, probably destroy the interference pattern. Of course with photons there would be effect at all.

PS @ZapperZ, he means to put two emitter / detectors at right angles to each other so the paths cross. if you want to be a teacher you have to learn to speak studentese.

5. Dec 26, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You cannot distinguish identical particles.
    You can have interference between two laser beams if their phases are coupled, or if the coherence length is long enough. You can even go further and reduce the laser intensities so much that detecting two photons at the same time is unlikely. Pfleegor and Mandel, 1967.

You can have the same effect, but easier to produce, with radio waves.

6. Dec 26, 2016 #5
    Of course, we all know that. I didn't feel any need to go into those exceptional cases, and OP's response shows I was right not to bother.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted