Critical speed of a banked curve (with friction.)

In summary, the conversation is about determining the maximum speed a 1300 kg rubber-tired car can take a curved highway of radius 80.0 m without sliding. The approach discussed includes using the formula F=mv^2/r and finding the normal force and radial component of friction to calculate the net force and acceleration, but this did not yield the correct answer. Another suggestion is to use the formula S=3.87 x SqRt(R x df) which takes into account the drag factor, super elevation, and grade of the curve. There is also mention of a nomograph in a Baker Text that could be used for similar calculations.
Shipman515
A concrete highway curve of radius 80.0 m is banked at a 14.0[tex]\circ[/tex] angle.

What is the maximum speed with which a 1300 kg rubber-tired car can take this curve without sliding? (Take the static coefficient of friction of rubber on concrete to be 1.0.)

I was trying v_max = [tex]\sqrt{}\mu_srg[/tex]
but that didn't seem right because it didn't account for the bank of the curve.I then tried to determine normal force in the radial direction + the radial component of friction and using that as the net force to find acceleration. F_net = ma. Then using the acceleration to find velocity but i couldn't get the right answer. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shipman515 said:
I then tried to determine normal force in the radial direction + the radial component of friction and using that as the net force to find acceleration. F_net = ma. Then using the acceleration to find velocity but i couldn't get the right answer. Any suggestions?

This approach seems correct, however the force in circular motion is given by,

[tex] F =\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

Hope it was sorted.

I know this is old but hey...so are a lot of us.

Hope you sorted out the answer by now...it would be 31 metres per second or 69 mph.

Your bank in degrees needs to be tan 14 to sort your answer out.

Cheers

crash65 said:
I know this is old but hey...so are a lot of us.

Hope you sorted out the answer by now...it would be 31 metres per second or 69 mph.

Your bank in degrees needs to be tan 14 to sort your answer out.

Cheers

I wouldn't make a habit of posting proposed answers on newer threads. Its against forum policy to hand out answers.

Thanks for that...will be more aware in future...was looking for some info and wasn't aware.

Perhaps you could guide me... is there research papers or similar on guidelines for friction values for advisory speed guidelines??

Not that I'm aware of personally. You'll be best starting a thread in general physics to gain the maximum attention from other members who may be aware of such things.

(1) S (speed) = 3.87 x SqRt (R x df) "df" (drag factor) + the Super Elevation + the Grade (if any) Negative or Positive. Which is 1.0 + 0.14 = 1.14
(2) Sc = sqRt 15R (E+F)
(3) Baker Text nomograph

What is the critical speed of a banked curve?

The critical speed of a banked curve is the maximum speed at which a vehicle can travel without relying on friction to maintain its circular path.

How is the critical speed of a banked curve calculated?

The critical speed of a banked curve can be calculated using the formula: v = √(rgtanθ), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the curve, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the banked curve.

What factors affect the critical speed of a banked curve?

The critical speed of a banked curve is affected by the radius of the curve, the angle of the bank, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, and the weight of the vehicle.

Why is it important to consider the critical speed of a banked curve?

It is important to consider the critical speed of a banked curve in order to ensure the safety and stability of a vehicle. If a vehicle is traveling above the critical speed, it may slide off the curve or experience a loss of control.

How does friction play a role in the critical speed of a banked curve?

Friction plays a critical role in the critical speed of a banked curve. Without friction, a vehicle would not be able to maintain its circular path on a banked curve and would require a higher speed to stay on the curve. However, too much friction can also be dangerous as it can cause the tires to skid and lead to a loss of control.