Criticisms of media coverage of the Lebanese conflict

• News
  • Thread starter Yonoz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an investigation into the events at Qana, where a relief effort was turned into a propaganda exercise by Hezbollah and the media. The media has responded with denials and distractions, and the conversation also includes a photo that was mistakenly thought to be a staged photo. The conversation raises the issue of impartiality and the importance of investigating serious allegations with full access to evidence.
Yonoz
Besides that there's Aish.com's http://www.aish.com/movies/PhotoFraud.asp".

Edit by Evo:I've removed the original attached photo due to the uncertainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an extensive look into the reporting of the Qana incident, titled http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2006/08/corruption-of-media.html" [Broken]:
Accordingly, we decided to carry out an investigation - not into the events at Qana pertaining to the air raid. We have no view on these. Our investigation is exclusively confined to the events during the relief effort, to determine whether some had been staged for the benefit of the media (and for the propaganda purposes of Hezbolla). Also, we sought to determine whether the media had been complicit in any staging.

After three weeks of intensive work, with the active assistance and co-operation of the internet community - often called the "blogosphere" - we now believe we have enough evidence confidently to assert that many of the incidents recorded in visual form by the media were indeed staged. In fact, we feel we can go further. In our view, the bulk of the relief effort at Khuraybah on 30 July was turned into a perverted propaganda exercise. The site, in effect, became one vast, grotesque film-set on which a macabre drama was played out to a willing and complicit media, which actively co-operated in the production and exploited the results.
If this is worrying enough, of greater concern has been the response of the media and, in particular, the news agencies which employed many of the photographers at Qana. Fronted initially by the Kathleen Carroll, senior vice president and executive editor of Associated Press, they issued an early denial without addressing any of the substantive issues we raised. Other media outlets have since joined the fray, including The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, through its website editor, and the Washington Post.

Their tactics have been both predictable and wearyingly familiar. Instead of addressing our substantive points, they have concentrated on details, picking on our errors and false starts, arguing that such flaws irredeemably damage our case. Others have branded us "right-wing", "pro-Israeli" or simply "conspiracy theorists", as if that could explain away the evidence we have gathered.

Then, after we had assembled so much evidence that our case was becoming unarguable, Associated Press mounted a defensive propaganda campaign, issuing a release attempting to make out that "Green Helmet" was some kind of latter-day saint, the hero of Qana. Inexplicably, for photographs accompanying the release, AP chose to dress their hero in blue helmet and garb, which could only serve to confuse readers who were unfamiliar with the issue.

In response, we decided to draw together the totality of our evidence, which hitherto had been scattered throughout this site, and assemble it in one report, updating, expanding and clarifying our findings. We enlisted the assistance of the "blogosphere" and received an extraordinary level of support. This report, therefore, is as much the work of the internet community as it is of this author.

Our purpose in producing it is to provide evidence which will enable us to force the news agencies, and the media which rely on them, to recognise that the media conduct at Qana was unacceptable. And, inasmuch as this is an example of a much wider problem affecting the way the whole of the media operates, we wish to see them address the issues we raise and to reform their operations. Without that, we feel, there can be no trust in the accuracy, impartiality or professionalism of any of their output. This is not only a major inconvenience, but threatens the very health of our democracy. For, without objective reporting, there is only propaganda.

Yonoz said:
I received the attached photo by e-mail and had to post it here, it's quite funny.
How funny would you think it was if that could have been one of your family. friends, or a fellow Zoinist lying under that sheet in rigor mortis? Not so funny I wager, and I also can't help but wonder how quick you would be to buy into the arguments on all your other your conspiracy blogs if those were directed against people you respect. You probably wouldn't be so quick to judge in that situation, eh?

kyleb said:
How funny would you think it was if that could have been one of your family. friends, or a fellow Zoinist lying under that sheet in rigor mortis? Not so funny I wager, and I also can't help but wonder how quick you would be to buy into the arguments on all your other your conspiracy blogs if those were directed against people you respect. You probably wouldn't be so quick to judge in that situation, eh?
Unfortunately I have seen quite a few bodies in various states. That is not rigor mortis. That is a man half way between sitting and laying down, covered with a bedsheet.
What "conspiracy blog" are you referring to? Can you manage to be any more specific in your criticism?

Last edited:
I'll be more specific about the http://www.theaugeanstables.com/2006/08/06/post-on-washington-post-removed/print/ [Broken], but I'd really rather not waist my time going though all the claims in the blogs.

kyleb said:
I'll be more specific about the http://www.theaugeanstables.com/2006/08/06/post-on-washington-post-removed/print/ [Broken], but I'd really rather not waist my time going though all the claims in the blogs.
It seems you are correct about the rigor mortis. I sincerely apologize. The left arm looked under the bedsheet to be the head, which lead to my hasty conclusion.
Despite that, I do believe that a serious allegation such as that about a purposeful attack of Red Cross ambulances deserves serious scrutiny. After all, I'm not the only one jumping to hasty conclusions.

Serious allegations should be investigated by impartial people who have full access to all evidence, not by people trying to make arguments out of a few photographs over Internet.

kyleb said:
Serious allegations should be investigated by impartial people who have full access to all evidence, not by people trying to make arguments out of a few photographs over Internet.
:rofl:
I'll remember that one.

1. What are the main criticisms about media coverage of the Lebanese conflict?

Some of the main criticisms about media coverage of the Lebanese conflict include biased reporting, lack of context and nuance, and perpetuating stereotypes and misinformation.

2. How has media coverage of the Lebanese conflict been biased?

Media coverage of the Lebanese conflict has been accused of being biased towards certain political or religious groups, often favoring one side over the other and presenting a one-sided narrative. This can lead to a distorted view of the situation and contribute to further conflict.

3. What is meant by the lack of context and nuance in media coverage of the Lebanese conflict?

Media coverage of the Lebanese conflict often fails to provide a comprehensive understanding of the historical, political, and cultural factors that have contributed to the conflict. This lack of context and nuance can lead to oversimplification and misrepresentation of the situation.

4. How does media coverage of the Lebanese conflict perpetuate stereotypes?

Media coverage of the Lebanese conflict has been criticized for perpetuating stereotypes about the region and its people. This can include portraying all Lebanese people as either victims or aggressors, or reinforcing negative stereotypes about certain religious or ethnic groups.

5. What can be done to address these criticisms of media coverage of the Lebanese conflict?

To address these criticisms, media outlets can strive for more balanced and unbiased reporting, provide more in-depth context and analysis, and avoid perpetuating stereotypes. It is also important for audiences to critically evaluate the information they consume and seek out diverse perspectives on the conflict.