Cross Cannizzaro and Intramolecular Cannizzaro

• Thread starter andyrk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross
Also, not all dicarbonyl compounds can undergo Intramolecular Cannizzaro, and it is mainly observed in compounds like Phenyl glyoxal, Pthaladehyde, and Glyoxal.In summary, the Cannizzaro Reaction is a chemical reaction involving the reduction of aldehydes and ketones. It has three types: Self Cannizzaro, Cross Cannizzaro, and Intramolecular Cannizzaro. The Intramolecular Cannizzaro reaction is limited to compounds with two aldehyde groups and results in the formation of a stable ring compound. The use of Formaldehyde as a reductant in Cross Cannizzaro is due to its mechanism and kinetics, as it is easily oxidized to formate.
andyrk
While I was going through my course material of Aldehydes and Ketones, I came across Cannizzaro Reaction. It is of 3 types, namely: Self Cannizzaro, Cross Cannizzaro and Intramolecular Cannizzaro. I understood the Self one but was unable to understand the other two. In the Cross one,why is always Formaldehyde (HCHO) used and reduced? And in Intramolecular one, how do we know which part of the dicarbonyl group will get reduced and which will get oxidised? Or is Intramolecular Cannizzaro meant for only a few dicarbonyl compunds like: Phenyl glyoxal, Pthaladehyde, Glyoxal? Because I saw only these with which Intramolecular Cannizzaro was done and shown. What about other dicarbonyl compounds?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anyone there?

Intramolecular Cannizzaro reaction generally takes place in molecules having two aldehyde groups and if they do undergo intramolecular Cannizzaro, they are expected to form a stable ring compound (6 membered).

As for Cross Cannizzaro, the reason behind using Formaldehyde as a reductant[\b] lies behind its mechanism and kinetics. Formaldehyde has little problem getting oxidized to formate (or I was taught so...) that the reaction largely go to that direction.

1. What is the Cannizzaro reaction?

The Cannizzaro reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the simultaneous oxidation and reduction of an aldehyde or ketone molecule. It was discovered by Italian chemist Stanislao Cannizzaro in 1853.

2. What is Cross Cannizzaro reaction?

The Cross Cannizzaro reaction is a type of Cannizzaro reaction in which two different aldehydes or ketones react with each other to form a corresponding alcohol and carboxylic acid. This reaction is also known as the Cannizzaro cross-coupling reaction.

3. What is Intramolecular Cannizzaro reaction?

The Intramolecular Cannizzaro reaction is a type of Cannizzaro reaction in which a single molecule undergoes both oxidation and reduction, resulting in the formation of a cyclic compound. This reaction is also known as the Cannizzaro cyclization reaction.

4. What are the applications of Cross Cannizzaro and Intramolecular Cannizzaro reactions?

Both Cross Cannizzaro and Intramolecular Cannizzaro reactions have various applications in organic synthesis. They can be used to synthesize complex molecules, such as natural products, and to create new pharmaceutical compounds.

5. What are the differences between Cross Cannizzaro and Intramolecular Cannizzaro reactions?

The main difference between the two reactions is that Cross Cannizzaro involves two different molecules reacting with each other, while Intramolecular Cannizzaro involves a single molecule undergoing both oxidation and reduction. Additionally, the products formed in the two reactions are also different.