Cross sections of bins and combination

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the cross sections of two bins and their combined cross section. The equality of luminosity is used to show that the combined cross section is equal to the sum of the cross sections of the individual bins. However, the expression can be simplified by considering that the ratios of N/σ should be the same. Additionally, the cross sections should not be normalized to bin widths when adding them together. This can lead to confusion as the cross section per GeV cannot be directly added, but the cross section itself can.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
suppose you have 2 bins each with cross section [itex] \sigma_1, \sigma_2[/itex]...
if you combine those bins, is it a logical assumption to say that the cross section will also be added?
I suppose from the equality of the luminosity one can get:
[itex] \frac{1}{2}[ N_1 / \sigma_1 + N_2 /\sigma_2] = N_{1+2}/ \sigma_{1+2}[/itex]
Obviously [itex] N_{1+2} = N_1 + N_2 [/itex] (the entries of the 2 bins is equal to the sum of the entries of each bin)
However by that I obtain:
[itex]\frac{N_1}{\sigma_1} + \frac{N_2}{\sigma_2} =2 \frac{N_1 + N_2}{\sigma_{1+2}}[/itex]
[itex] \sigma_{1+2} = \frac{2 \sigma_1 \sigma_2 (N_1 + N_2)}{N_1 \sigma_2 + N_2 \sigma_1}[/itex]

Isn't this result irrational?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two ratios N/σ should be the same, so you can simplify your expression.

If the cross sections in the bins are measured with different datasets, adding the numbers doesn't make sense, but adding cross sections still works. Just make sure they are not normalized to bin width.

Likes ChrisVer
mfb said:
Just make sure they are not normalized to bin width.
Had some doubts with that too [in case the bin widths vary]... I wasn't going to take into account the widths...but generally speaking:
I don't understand how the cross section would come to get normalized to bin widths...You obtain it by integrating a histogram; so how would the bin width matter?

If your bin is from 20 to 30 GeV, and your cross section is 10 pb, then your cross-section is 1pb/GeV.
If your bin is from 20 to 30 GeV, and your cross section is given as 1pb/GeV, then your cross section is 10 pb
As easy as that. Cross sections can be added, cross sections per GeV cannot (directly).

obviously the one is the [itex]d \sigma /dx[/itex] (in your example [itex]x=E[/itex]) while the other is the [itex]\sigma[/itex]. But OK I think I got what you wanted to pass.

1. What is a cross section of a bin?

A cross section of a bin is a 2-dimensional representation of the contents inside a bin, taken by slicing the bin along a specific plane. It shows the shape and arrangement of objects inside the bin in a simplified manner.

2. How are cross sections of bins used in combination problems?

In combination problems, cross sections of bins are used to determine the number of unique combinations of objects that can be selected from multiple bins. By analyzing the cross sections, one can determine the number of objects in each bin and the possible ways they can be combined to create different combinations.

3. What is the difference between a cross section and a combination of bins?

A cross section is a visual representation of the contents inside a bin, while a combination of bins refers to the various ways in which objects from multiple bins can be combined. In other words, a cross section shows the individual elements inside a bin, while a combination shows the relationship between multiple bins.

4. How do you find the cross section of a bin?

To find the cross section of a bin, you need to slice the bin along a specific plane or direction. This can be done physically by cutting through the bin, or virtually by using mathematical equations to represent the cross section.

5. What is the importance of understanding cross sections and combinations of bins?

Understanding cross sections and combinations of bins is crucial in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics. It allows for better visualization and analysis of complex systems and helps in problem-solving and decision-making processes.