Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins)

• Thread starter AdkinsJr
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I'm trying to hook up crystal oscillator package on breadboard and test for expected operation: I'm not sure how and cannot find any data sheets for the pin connection diagrams, I attached an image I found of the kind of package I'm using. There are four pins.

Homework Equations

; Attempt Solution [/B]

The package is supposed to be equivalent to a CRL series circuit in parallel with another capacitor, as if you were measuring over the capacitor in parallel. (I attached a diagram). The values for the elements in the C-CLR circuit are for a .5 MHz crystal oscillator (that's what's given in my text)...I have crystal oscillator packages with varying operation frequencies...but I think I can assess how it should behave just by comparing to C-CLR circuit. I just don't know how to wire a crystal exactly...is there a ground?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
It will probably look something like this:

Datasheet

Thanks. I think this will work. So it looks like I'll have to wire up one of the test circuits TTL or LSTTL to test its' operation? Ouch!

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thanks. I think this will work. So it looks like I'll have to wire up one of the test circuits TTL or LSTTL to test its' operation? Ouch!
You can skip the 15pF output capacitor; it's just there to test for worst-case loading.
So you're left with one 0.1uF capacitor across the power supply pins. Not much of an 'ouch', is it?