1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins)

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to hook up crystal oscillator package on breadboard and test for expected operation: I'm not sure how and cannot find any data sheets for the pin connection diagrams, I attached an image I found of the kind of package I'm using. There are four pins.

2. Relevant equations; Attempt Solution

The package is supposed to be equivalent to a CRL series circuit in parallel with another capacitor, as if you were measuring over the capacitor in parallel. (I attached a diagram). The values for the elements in the C-CLR circuit are for a .5 MHz crystal oscillator (that's what's given in my text)...I have crystal oscillator packages with varying operation frequencies...but I think I can assess how it should behave just by comparing to C-CLR circuit. I just don't know how to wire a crystal exactly...is there a ground?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It will probably look something like this:

Datasheet

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    Thanks. I think this will work. So it looks like I'll have to wire up one of the test circuits TTL or LSTTL to test its' operation? Ouch!

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can skip the 15pF output capacitor; it's just there to test for worst-case loading.
    So you're left with one 0.1uF capacitor across the power supply pins. Not much of an 'ouch', is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted