Output voltage of Crystal Oscillators

In summary, a crystal oscillator is a transistor circuit with a dozen or so components, and including a quartz crystal in a hermetic package. When connected to an amplifier, it will give a constant frequency output, of fixed amplitude.
Synovial
I am currently building a circuit that produces a 200khz signal with a potential difference of 3 - 12 volts, depending on the force applied to a strain gauge. The input voltage is a 12V, 50hz source. With no force applied to the strain gauge, the output is to be 3V and 12V at breaking force.

From my research I discovered that I can use a crystal oscillator to produce the 200khz signal, except I am having trouble understanding exactly how the component works and its output voltage. Should I convert the input voltage to DC, then run it through the oscillator and the voltage of the input DC will be the voltage of the 200khz signal produced by the oscillator? That is, is the voltage input the same as the output (perhaps a small decrease due to the resistance of the component) across this component?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not what you think. It's more like a high-Q RLC resonator. It doesn't do anything unless you connect it to the right kind of amplifier. The whole thing is then a 200KHz oscillator.

What is the standard price range on these amplifiers, and once I connect the oscillator to the aforementioned amplifier, how can I determine the output voltage? Or alternatively, is there an easier way to convert the 50hz signal to a 200khz signal?

Synovial said:
I am currently building a circuit that produces a 200khz signal with a potential difference of 3 - 12 volts, depending on the force applied to a strain gauge. The input voltage is a 12V, 50hz source. With no force applied to the strain gauge, the output is to be 3V and 12V at breaking force.

From my research I discovered that I can use a crystal oscillator to produce the 200khz signal, except I am having trouble understanding exactly how the component works and its output voltage. Should I convert the input voltage to DC, then run it through the oscillator and the voltage of the input DC will be the voltage of the 200khz signal produced by the oscillator?
A crystal oscillator is a transistor circuit with a dozen or so components, and including a quartz crystal in a hermetic package. Like most electronic circuits, it will require a regulated DC supply. This oscillator will in turn give a constant frequency output, of fixed amplitude. Each crystal is designed for a specific frequency and this cannot* be changed.

You could just as easily construct a 200kHz oscillator using C's and R's around a transistor or op-amp. The crystal oscillator usually has a more accurate frequency, though, this is sometimes important.

I can provide some insight into the functioning of crystal oscillators and their output voltage.

Firstly, a crystal oscillator is an electronic component that uses the mechanical resonance of a piezoelectric crystal to generate a precise frequency signal. The input voltage to the oscillator is typically a DC voltage, and the output is an alternating current (AC) signal with a specific frequency.

In terms of the output voltage, it is important to note that the voltage of the input DC does not necessarily equate to the voltage of the output AC signal. The output voltage of a crystal oscillator is determined by several factors, including the type of crystal used, the circuit design, and the load connected to the oscillator.

In your case, with a 12V, 50Hz input voltage, the output frequency of the oscillator will be 200kHz, but the voltage may vary depending on the load and circuit design. It is possible to use a voltage regulator or other circuit components to adjust the output voltage to meet your desired range of 3-12V.

Additionally, the force applied to the strain gauge may also affect the output voltage of the oscillator, as it can impact the load connected to the oscillator. It is important to consider the overall circuit design and load when determining the output voltage of the crystal oscillator.

In summary, the output voltage of a crystal oscillator is not solely determined by the input voltage, and it is important to consider other factors such as circuit design and load. I would recommend consulting with a professional or conducting further research to ensure the proper functioning and voltage range of your circuit.

1. What is the purpose of a crystal oscillator?

A crystal oscillator is an electronic circuit that generates a precise and stable frequency signal. It is used in many electronic devices such as computers, televisions, radios, and cell phones to provide a clock signal for timing and synchronization.

2. How is the output voltage of a crystal oscillator measured?

The output voltage of a crystal oscillator is typically measured using an oscilloscope, which displays the voltage as a function of time. The peak-to-peak voltage is the difference between the highest and lowest voltage levels, and the root mean square (RMS) voltage is the average voltage over one cycle.

3. What factors affect the output voltage of a crystal oscillator?

The output voltage of a crystal oscillator is primarily affected by the load capacitance, which is the total capacitance of all components connected to the oscillator. Other factors that can impact the output voltage include temperature, supply voltage, and aging of the crystal.

4. How does the output voltage of a crystal oscillator affect the stability of the frequency signal?

The output voltage of a crystal oscillator is directly related to the stability of the frequency signal it produces. A higher output voltage indicates a more stable signal. Therefore, it is important to design and maintain a crystal oscillator with a consistent and appropriate output voltage to ensure a stable frequency signal.

5. Can the output voltage of a crystal oscillator be adjusted?

Yes, the output voltage of a crystal oscillator can be adjusted by changing the load capacitance or adjusting the supply voltage. However, this should only be done by trained professionals and with caution, as it can impact the stability and performance of the oscillator.