Crystal Planes: Definition & Meaning

In summary, crystal planes refer to planes of atoms in a regular structure, with a geometric arrangement similar to that of coplanar diametral spheres representing the atoms. However, there may be missing or interstitial atoms in reality. Crystal planes are formed by lattice points and are equally spaced from each other.
Hymne
I think I understand the meaning and definition of the concepts of basis, cells, primitivecells and lattice, and so on. But could somebody please give me a short and consistent definition on crystal planes?
For example on which level do you mean when you talk about these planes? Are they planes of basis or planes of ions inside basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Crystal planes refer to 'planes of atoms' with some regular structure or array, as one would observe if the diametral planes of spheres representing that atoms were coplanar, i.e. they have the same geometric arrangement/relationship.

In reality though, there are missing atoms (and dislocations) and interstitial atoms. See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dislocation

Crystal structure = lattice + basis
Crystal plane = plane passing through lattice points

All lattice points are on a series of planes(Crystal plane),Crystal planes are equally separate with each other.

Related to Crystal Planes: Definition & Meaning

What are crystal planes?

Crystal planes are flat surfaces within a crystal lattice that are defined by the arrangement of atoms or molecules. They are also known as lattice planes.

How are crystal planes defined?

Crystal planes are defined by their Miller indices, which are a set of three integers that represent the relative spacing and orientation of the atoms or molecules within the crystal lattice.

What is the significance of crystal planes?

Crystal planes play a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of a crystal. They can affect the crystal's strength, transparency, and reactivity, among other characteristics.

How are crystal planes observed?

Crystal planes can be observed using a variety of techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy. These methods allow scientists to visualize the arrangement of atoms or molecules within a crystal and determine the orientation of its planes.

Can crystal planes be manipulated?

Yes, crystal planes can be manipulated through processes such as polishing, cutting, and etching. These techniques can alter the surface of a crystal, exposing different crystal planes and changing its physical and chemical properties.