Curious about the "General Physics" section change

• Thread starter tade
  • Start date
tade
Seems like its been removed and a section on "Other Physics Topics" has been added, and I'm just curious as to why

Answers and Replies

DrClaude
Mentor
"General Physics" was too vague, with too many threads ending up there that would fit better in other sections. The name change should ensure that it is only for threads that don't belong anywhere else.

Likes topsquark and Wrichik Basu
tade
"General Physics" was too vague, with too many threads ending up there that would fit better in other sections. The name change should ensure that it is only for threads that don't belong anywhere else.
oh i see, and seems like the non-physics General sections are fine lol

Likes S.G. Janssens
DrClaude
Mentor
We are primarily a physics forum, so yeah, the other "General" sections are fine.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
Not really. General Math tends to become the bin for all threads when people were too lazy to think about where their question really belongs to. Half of all threads could be moved elsewhere.

I am also not happy with "Analysis" in the title for the topology thread. "Functional Analysis" would be ok, but the way it is, it is just doubling the calculus forum. I know, that there can be made a distinction between calculus and analysis in the English-speaking world, but all reasons I have read so far were merely an excuse for the stupid use of the word calculus instead of analysis. Similar to the stupid use of the word algebra for basic calculations.

You see: Any forum classification is necessarily incomplete and by its nature a compromise among students, professors, cultures, languages, or historically given practice.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and dextercioby
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's because "General Physics" has been replaced by "Other Physics Topics."
Got it thanks.

bob012345
Gold Member
You see: Any forum classification is necessarily incomplete and by its nature a compromise among students, professors, cultures, languages, or historically given practice.
Gödel might have said that...

Suggested for: Curious about the "General Physics" section change

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post