Curious about the "General Physics" section change

• Thread starter tade
  • Start date
In summary, the "General Physics" section has been removed and replaced with a section titled "Other Physics Topics." This change was made in order to avoid confusion and ensure that only threads that do not fit in any other sections are posted there. The decision was also influenced by the fact that many threads ended up in "General Physics" that could have been better placed in other sections. Additionally, the "General" sections for non-physics topics are considered sufficient, as Physics Forums is primarily a physics forum. There has also been some discussion about the title of the "Topology" thread, with some feeling that "Functional Analysis" would be more appropriate. However, this classification is ultimately a compromise and cannot please everyone.
tade
Seems like its been removed and a section on "Other Physics Topics" has been added, and I'm just curious as to why

Physics news on Phys.org
"General Physics" was too vague, with too many threads ending up there that would fit better in other sections. The name change should ensure that it is only for threads that don't belong anywhere else.

Likes topsquark and Wrichik Basu
DrClaude said:
"General Physics" was too vague, with too many threads ending up there that would fit better in other sections. The name change should ensure that it is only for threads that don't belong anywhere else.
oh i see, and seems like the non-physics General sections are fine lol

Likes S.G. Janssens
tade said:
We are primarily a physics forum, so yeah, the other "General" sections are fine.

tade said:
Not really. General Math tends to become the bin for all threads when people were too lazy to think about where their question really belongs to. Half of all threads could be moved elsewhere.

I am also not happy with "Analysis" in the title for the topology thread. "Functional Analysis" would be ok, but the way it is, it is just doubling the calculus forum. I know, that there can be made a distinction between calculus and analysis in the English-speaking world, but all reasons I have read so far were merely an excuse for the stupid use of the word calculus instead of analysis. Similar to the stupid use of the word algebra for basic calculations.

You see: Any forum classification is necessarily incomplete and by its nature a compromise among students, professors, cultures, languages, or historically given practice.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and dextercioby
dlgoff said:
I don't even see a link to General Physics on the the main PF site page https://www.physicsforums.com/
That's because "General Physics" has been replaced by "Other Physics Topics."

DrClaude said:
That's because "General Physics" has been replaced by "Other Physics Topics."
Got it thanks.

fresh_42 said:
You see: Any forum classification is necessarily incomplete and by its nature a compromise among students, professors, cultures, languages, or historically given practice.
Gödel might have said that...

• Haha
Likes tade

1. What changes have been made to the "General Physics" section?

The "General Physics" section has been restructured to include more specific subtopics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. This allows for easier navigation and more focused discussions on each topic.

2. Will the content in the "General Physics" section still be relevant to my studies?

Yes, the content in the "General Physics" section will still cover fundamental principles and concepts that are applicable to a wide range of scientific fields. However, the new structure may make it easier for you to find information specific to your area of study.

3. Can I still ask questions and participate in discussions in the "General Physics" section?

Yes, the "General Physics" section is still an interactive forum where you can ask questions, share your knowledge, and engage in discussions with other members. The only change is the organization of the topics within the section.

4. Will there be any new features or resources added to the "General Physics" section?

At this time, there are no plans to add new features or resources to the "General Physics" section. However, if there is a high demand for certain resources or tools, they may be considered for future updates.

5. Can I suggest additional subtopics to be added to the "General Physics" section?

Yes, we welcome suggestions for new subtopics in the "General Physics" section. Please feel free to reach out to the forum moderators or administrators with your ideas and suggestions.