Why was the curious ape grooming a human? Watch the beautiful video now!

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of primate behavior and the significance of interactions between different animal species. The individuals involved share their experiences and thoughts on the matter, including Richard Dawkins' pride in being an African ape and the consequences of exaggerating praise for a new mother's baby. The conversation also touches on the idea of naive anthropomorphism and its validity. The discussion concludes with a mention of the number of primate avatars chosen by males on a particular platform and the removal of a video on the topic by Youtube.
Aufbauwerk 2045
Beautiful video. Useful perhaps to educate people who are ashamed of our primate cousins? Richard Dawkins says he is proud to be an African ape.

Likes DrClaude and Jon Richfield
Biology news on Phys.org
Reminds me on my experience with Natalie. Natalie had a baby and as one usually does, I praised her lovely baby, you know, just saying what proud new mothers love to hear. Unfortunately it seemed I've exaggerated it a bit too much and Natalie apparently got the impression I would like to have her baby, so she decided to spit at me. A great pity, I really like bonobos.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Just one more. Good night.

Likes DrClaude and Jon Richfield
Very touching and absolutely believable, though the recognition of the girl after a period during which she had changed was impressive in itself.

Naive anti-anthropomorphism is IMAO no more defensible than naive anthropomorphism. I have seen too many examples of unrelated animal species, both wild and tame, young and old, sponteneously interacting as though they were conspecifics, for me to be able to reject the significance of such behaviour out of hand.

People who regard it as an Ockhamian virtue to think of such interaction as insignificant or logically invalid, understand the significance of Ockham's principle no better than they understand biological interaction.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Have you paid attention to the number of primate avatars males choose on here? They are proud of it...

I see the first video was removed by Youtube. I have no idea why. Youtube's explanation is not helpful.

I found a shorter version on another channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does it mean when a curious ape grooms a human?

When a curious ape grooms a human, it means that the ape is showing signs of social behavior and a desire to form a bond with the human.

2. Why do apes groom humans?

Apes groom humans for a variety of reasons, including bonding, social interaction, and seeking attention or affection from the human.

3. Is it safe for humans to be groomed by apes?

In most cases, it is safe for humans to be groomed by apes. However, it is important to keep in mind that apes are wild animals and can become aggressive if they feel threatened or uncomfortable.

4. Can humans groom apes in return?

In some cases, humans can groom apes in return. This type of behavior is often seen in sanctuaries or zoos where the apes have been socialized and are comfortable with human interaction.

5. What can we learn from the behavior of apes grooming humans?

The behavior of apes grooming humans can teach us about the social and emotional intelligence of these animals. It also highlights the importance of social bonds and relationships in animals, including humans. Additionally, studying this behavior can provide insight into the similarities and differences between apes and humans.