Curiousity question into what events might have led to calgary floodin

In summary, there was major flooding in both Calgary and the Philippines due to excessive rainfall and natural disasters such as typhoons and earthquakes are common occurrences in the Philippines. The recent full moon has no significant effect on these events.
howdoyoupurr
RE-POST If you live in Calgary please play close attention to this. Today there was major flooding both here in Calgary and the Philippines. This is a video you need to Watch if you live in Calgary Alberta Canada And there is a Earthquake watch right now for both areas today in the world.These are the things that I have noticed.
first this is what's going on

This is a link to see the disaster.
Now this is a link to <link to crackpot youtube video deleted>

And This is links to a site on earthquakes.
http://www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/recent/index-eng.php

You need to look at current and over the last month for the earthquake data to the areas of Alberta Canada as well as the Phil. but when I looked and over lapped the maps it has a lot of coincidences between rainfall weather patterns and earthquakes especially with the moon being so close over the next few days.The major earthquake that is upstream to the rivers that are effecting calgarys water levels
2013-05-27: M=4.5 - 9 km SE of Fort St. John, BC
and happened 3 weeks ago.

Now I do not know meteorologist physics at all.

But I do know that june 20-23 it is the 21 today is the closest that the moon has come to the Earth over this long weekend.

Now my question is. Between the Rainfall that got stopped by the front heading south down Alberta which caused so much water to drop. As well as an earthquake that happened right near where the flooding occurred in the Phil. Could these events be related. In the Youtube video the man mentions a potential earthquake warning for the california coast line. I know had them before. But with the gravitational shifts that have happened as the moon has gotten closer to the earth. Could this have caused the flooding that is happening in Alberta Canada and if so what could it mean for potential natural disasters in the near future what might occur.

I am not a physicist at all. But I do have one in my house so I can ask him about any explanations you might give me back. As said this is just a curiousity. Please reply

Signed

a man that found a reason this weekend to be interested in physics.

Ken Dunn

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ken

well what can I say ? :(
if you are really interested in physics, the first thing to do is PLEASE stay away from those stupid "voodoo science" youtube places. There's nutters by the dozen on there proclaiming all sorts of catastrophies, pretty much none of which come true
They will con you with all sorts of garbage mixed with just enough real science to make it sound plausable
for example...
But with the gravitational shifts that have happened as the moon has gotten closer to the earth.

Look up any decent astronomy text and you will find this to be garbage
the Moon is actually getting further away from the earth. Those guys that do the math to work out future total solar eclipses have discovered that not too far into the distant future, total eclipses will no longer happen, as the Moon will be too far from the Earth to totally cover the Sun's disc.

OH and a M4.5 isn't exactly a "major earthquake" its no more than a little burp
10's of 1000's of them happen every year around the world

Stick around the Physics Forum and learn some real science :)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
The moon routinely moves between apogee and perigee once a month during its orbit of the Earth. (Perigee is closest approach, apogee is furthest approach) The only difference for this upcoming full moon is that the perigee is very very slightly closer to us than it will be for the rest of the year due to the way the Moon's orbit shifts around over time. But this is a very small difference, not one that would cause any substantial effects on the Earth, and certainly not enough to cause earthquakes.

There's always major flooding in the Philippines, 'cause, you know, it's in the tropics and they get, like, a lot of rain there. Then there's typhoons!

SteamKing said:
There's always major flooding in the Philippines, 'cause, you know, it's in the tropics and they get, like, a lot of rain there. Then there's typhoons!

yup just ask my wife ... that's her home country and on top of that, because of its location on the Pacific Rim, it is also plagued with volcanoes and earthquakes on a daily basis

Dave

There's no reason to invoke earthquakes, a large full moon, or other pseudoscience to explain the flooding in Calgary and elsewhere. Calgary just received almost a year's worth of rain in a 36 hour period. No good is ever going to come of that kind of rainfall. The mountains to the west received even more rain. Even less good is going to come from that. The increased river flow from those mountain rains had nowhere to go because the rivers were already at capacity thanks to the local rains.

Ya I figured there was no way to show a comparison to explain what might have caused it. I admit it was likely an extreme long shot. but it was you have to admit at least a good attempt to try to figure out what might have caused it. beyond a freak occurance

What caused the Calgary flood?

The Calgary flood in 2013 was caused by a combination of heavy rainfall, saturated ground, and melting snowpack in the Rocky Mountains. This led to excessive amounts of water flowing into the Bow and Elbow rivers, which run through the city of Calgary.

Were there any warning signs before the flood?

Yes, there were several warning signs before the flood. The region had experienced above-average snowfall and rainfall leading up to the flood, and the ground was already saturated. The city of Calgary also issued several flood warnings and evacuations were ordered in low-lying areas.

How did the city prepare for the flood?

The city of Calgary had an emergency management plan in place for natural disasters like floods. They set up emergency shelters and evacuation centers, and sandbagging efforts were organized to protect critical infrastructure. The city also utilized social media and news outlets to provide updates and information to residents.

What was the extent of the damage caused by the flood?

The Calgary flood caused significant damage to homes, businesses, and infrastructure. It is estimated that the total cost of damages was over $6 billion. The flood also resulted in five fatalities and displaced thousands of residents.

Has the city taken any measures to prevent future floods?

Yes, the city of Calgary has taken several measures to prevent future floods. This includes building new flood barriers, improving water management systems, and implementing stricter building codes in flood-prone areas. The city also continues to monitor weather patterns and has an emergency response plan in place for future flooding events.