Current-carrying Wire in a Circular Magnet

In summary, the direction of the force acting on the current-carrying wire in the magnetic field can be determined by using the right hand rule or left-hand finger rule. Treating the loop as many tiny straight current-carrying conductors can also help in finding the direction of the force. Lenz's Law can also be used for this problem.
LovePhys

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=49564&stc=1&d=1344134112.jpg

Determine the direction of the force acting on the current-carrying wire in the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

Lenz's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem confuses me as the current is moving in a circular loop. However, I tried to use Lenz's Law and got the right answer: The direction of the magnetic force is out of the page, but I do not know whether I did the right thing or not.

I used the right hand rule: I put my thumb on the loop in the direction of the current (this is where I am confused since the current moves in the circular loop, not in a straight conductor as I normally do in class). Then my fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field lines. As a result my palm points in the direction of the force, which is out of the page.

Thank you very much for all your help!
LovePhys

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Repeat your usual rule for lots of points on the wire - treat the current and all as being straight just for that point. See if it makes any difference where you use the rule for.

I use the left-hand finger rule myself but the RH-slap is good too.

Thank you very much Simon Bridge!

I understand what you mean! It really does not make any difference! I tried treating the loop as many tiny straight current-carrying conductors and it worked! :)

No worries - this method (treating as many small straight bits) works for most things and the exceptions are usually pretty obvious. Basically if it looks flat when you zoom in - like with a circle - it'll work.

As a scientist, your understanding of Lenz's Law and your application of the right hand rule is correct. The direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field can be determined using the right hand rule, where your thumb points in the direction of the current, your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and your palm points in the direction of the force. In this case, since the current is moving in a circular loop, the direction of the force will also be circular, perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field. This is consistent with your answer of the force being out of the page. Keep up the good work with your problem-solving skills!

What is a current-carrying wire in a circular magnet?

A current-carrying wire in a circular magnet is a wire that has an electric current flowing through it and is placed in a circular shape around a magnet. This setup creates a magnetic field around the wire, which interacts with the magnetic field of the magnet.

How does a current-carrying wire in a circular magnet work?

The electric current in the wire creates a magnetic field, which interacts with the magnetic field of the magnet. This interaction causes the wire to experience a force, known as the Lorentz force, which causes the wire to move in a circular path around the magnet.

What is the direction of the Lorentz force on a current-carrying wire in a circular magnet?

The direction of the Lorentz force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field. This means that the wire will move in a direction that is perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of the Lorentz force on a current-carrying wire in a circular magnet?

The strength of the Lorentz force depends on the strength of the current in the wire, the strength of the magnetic field of the magnet, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field. It also depends on the length of the wire and the material it is made of.

What are the applications of a current-carrying wire in a circular magnet?

A current-carrying wire in a circular magnet is used in many applications, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of electric currents and magnetic fields.