1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current density of specific configuration

1. Jan 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two hollow metal spheres (left one has radius of 0.7 meters and right one has radius of 0.4 meters) are half-submerged in the sea water with specific conductance of γ = 4 S/m. Distance between their centers is much greater than their radii dimensions and equals 60 meters. Both spheres are connected with real voltage source (U = 300V and R = 4Ω).
    Here's the sample image URL (please let me know if there are any troubles with this OneDrive shared link).https://attachment.outlook.office.net/owa/public_higher@outlook.com/service.svc/s/GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC1jNmNlLTE2OGMtMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD3jS4PtO4ok6emPsLe6htlgcAd9w%2BY5sSX0K4%2BOeRrODdowAAAgEMAAAAd9w%2BY5sSX0K4%2BOeRrODdowAAAIXlKJMAAAABEgAQAHmbmwDZF2QfSJuz3GK7atQD&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=X_OT8YKlV0CGEMSgsZMqO1DhIcR9NNQYGiGywSgDMPT37u9qjvf4GJ3S3p3X3gctYx7SfiNwtNY.&token=19efa433-21fa-4114-a44b-89c5a952a124&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1
    Question: Compute absolute value of current density at point S which lies at the exact center (30 meters from right and left sphere's center).

2. Relevant equations
    In the previous question I had to compute total current flow through this system. I managed to find it resistance of the sea R_sea = (1/r_left + 1/r_right) / (2πγ) which I then plugged into I = U / (R_sea + R_load). It gave me I ≅ 72.2 A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I = ∫JdS and J = γE, but from here on, I'm completely lost. Can somebody please help me, or at least give me a solid hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello pA, :welcome:

No quick responses, so let me inform you that I don't see any picture or link.

Furthermore 72 A from a 300 V with an internal R of 4 Ohm seems a bit unlikely. You sure this r_left and r_right (what are they?) gave you the correct answer ?

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3
    Here's the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeYlJxPvdrUb3JkNm5UR2FjaUE/view?usp=sharing. I hope this will work! :)

Anyway, this task comes with solutions, but not path towards solution. I managed to obtain current 72.2 amperes from some PDF file which had similar example. Unfortunately, current density was never mentioned in there.

So yes, current comes from I = U / (R_load + R_sea) which returns I ≅ 72.2 A. I double checked my calculations and it returns correct value. Correct result should be J ≅ 0.0255 A/m^2.

5. Jan 31, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Link works. The underwater field is equal to the field from a dipole (two spheres with opposite potential) . Any analogy you can think of to find the current density ?

It made me think of the electrolytic trough -- but I couldn't find a description with the formulas, just ads. (Unless your german is good enough)

6. Jan 31, 2017 #5
    Well, I must admit that my German is a bit rusty, but in the abundance of translator tools I think I will be able to pull through. Thank you so much for your time and willingness to share your knowledge! I finally understand the task.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted