Current EE Student looking for Nanotech grad program suggestions

In summary, the speaker is currently in an EE program at Oregon Institute of Technology with an expected graduation date of June 2012. They have decided to pursue graduate studies in Nanotechnology, specifically in the field of energy and medical applications. They are currently studying at OIT, which has close relationships with Techtronix and Intel, but plan to attend another school for their graduate program. They are seeking advice on whether OIT is a good enough school for graduate programs at other universities, specifically the University of Washington. They also ask for recommendations on schools for nanotechnology graduate programs and methods for comparing different schools.
Mohdoo
Hello, everyone. I am currently in an EE program with an expected graduation date of June 2012, and I am getting a better idea of what I want to be doing later down the road. I have decided that I want to pursue graduate studies with Nanotechnology. I am mostly interested with nanotech applications to energy and medical purposes, but the whole field is incredibly interesting to me, and I think it has a bright future.

As of right now, I am studying at the Oregon Institute of Technology. From what I have heard, it is a well ranked Engineering program that has close relationships with Techtronix and Intel. My current plan is to complete my 4 year degree there and then go to another school for a graduate program because OIT does not offer one.

Which brings me to yet another question. How do I verify that the school I am attending right now is a good enough school to make it into graduate programs at other "bigger" universities? I am specifically interested in the University of Washington.

So sum up my questions:

1. Is it a good idea for me to continue at Oregon Institute of Technology? Or am I shooting myself in the foot?

2. What schools are recommended for nanotechnology graduate programs?

3. What is a good method for comparing different schools? Is there a specific website that is good for comparing school rankings and which is good for what?

Thank you very much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump :x

I am also most interested in graduate studies at UW at the moment. Any advice as to whether I am on a good track right now?

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and application of materials, structures, and devices at the nanoscale level. This means manipulating and controlling materials on a scale of 1 to 100 nanometers, which is incredibly small (about 1/100,000th the diameter of a human hair).

2. What are some potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of potential applications, including in medicine, electronics, energy, and materials science. Some examples include targeted drug delivery, improved solar panels, and stronger and lighter materials for construction.

3. How can I find a good nanotechnology graduate program?

There are a few key factors to consider when looking for a good nanotechnology graduate program. First, look for programs that have a strong research focus and offer opportunities for hands-on experience. Additionally, consider the reputation and faculty expertise of the program, as well as the availability of resources and funding.

4. What skills and background are necessary for a nanotechnology graduate program?

A background in engineering, physics, chemistry, or a related field is typically necessary for a nanotechnology graduate program. Additionally, strong skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and research are important for success in this field. Some programs may also require specific coursework or lab experience.

5. Are there any specific nanotechnology graduate programs for current EE students?

Yes, there are several graduate programs specifically focused on nanotechnology for current EE students. Some examples include the Master of Science in Nanoscience and Microsystems Engineering at the University of New Mexico and the Nanotechnology and Microsystems Engineering program at Rochester Institute of Technology. It is also possible to pursue a nanotechnology focus within a traditional EE graduate program.