Current Math Grad School Preparation

In summary: I would need a GRE score of at least 1300 and a 3.5 GPA in upper division math courses to be considered for most grad schools.In summary, if you have a 3.4-3.5 gpa in upper division math classes (around 3.5-3.6 if lower div classes are included), a 3.6 overall, and a 3.1 gpa in lower division math classes (around 3.2 if lower div math classes are included), your chances of getting into a grad school for applied math are good.
mathgradhopef
Would I be able to get into a grad school for applied math?

By the time I graduate, I would must likely have a 3.4-3.5 gpa in my upper div math classes (around 3.5-3.6 if lower div classes are included) and a 3.6 overall. Currently, I have a 3.1 gpa in my upper div math classes (around 3.2 if lower div math classes are included) and a 3.38 overall. My university is a top 25 undergrad and in the top 50 of math grad schools.

Classes I've taken so far:
Lower Div:
Calculus II A-
Calculus III B+
Linear Algebra B

Upper Div:
Intro to Probability Theory: C
Number Theory (Withdrew)
Statistics B+
Ordinary Differential Equations (Dynamical Systems) A

I will take Analysis I, Analysis II, Advanced Linear Algebra, a reading course on Dynamical Systems using a grad text (Guckenheimer and Holmes), Abstract Algebra (on my last semester), and possibly 1-3 grad courses (such as grad Numerical Analysis, grad Real Analysis, or another grad courses). If possible, I might be taking Complex Analysis online through University of Wisconsin and an Engineering Math Course (on PDEs) at my university.

Research Experience:
Summer 2010 REU in Mathematical Biology- created research project, which was presented in undergrad research poster presentation at the Joint Math Meetings
Planned- Undergrad senior thesis on ODEs/Dynamical Systems (either applied or theoretical based) with professor during Spring 2012
Planned- Hopefully, will participate in Summer 2012 REU or taking grad courses through SMI in Italy or through AARMS in Canada.
Hopefully, I can publish my senior thesis in an undergrad research journal and present a potential, future REU project at a research conference.

Awards:
Bank of America Scholarship Recipient
Scholarship through my university
Received travel funding from the MAA to fly to the Joint Math Meetings

Currently, I will be taking Analysis I P/NP at Berkeley during the summer to prepare for Analysis at my university during the Fall. The professor teaching Analysis I at my university during the Fall gave me my lowest math grade. I'm a bit rusty at writing proofs, so that is why I will be Analysis I at Berkeley during the summer.

I am mainly interested in Mathematical Biology and Ordinary Differential Equations, but I am open to other subfields of applied math.

Do I have a chance of getting into an Applied Math PhD program at universities, such as Boston University, Texas A&M, or even Duke and Utah for Fall 2013 admission?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's too early to tell. I don't consider Diffy Q as upper division, which leaves you with three classes: a B+, a C and a W. Work on getting good marks in the upcoming classes.

The upper division Ordinary Differential Equations Class I took analyzed phase planes, bifurcations, and other techniques for nonlinear differential equations. The text for the class was for advanced undergrads and first year grad students.

Earlier, I took Linear Algebra and Differential Equations, which covered vector spaces and separable differential equations.

OK, up the 3 to 3.5. It's still too early.

Based on the information provided, it is difficult to accurately assess your chances of getting into a specific grad school for applied math. Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors, including GPA, coursework, research experience, and letters of recommendation. While your current GPA may be on the lower side, your overall upward trend and strong performance in upper division math classes may work in your favor. Additionally, your research experience and involvement in the math community through conferences and scholarships demonstrate a strong commitment to the field. It will also be beneficial to continue taking challenging courses, such as graduate level courses, to show your readiness for a PhD program. Ultimately, the admissions committee will consider your entire application and make a decision based on a holistic evaluation. It is important to highlight your strengths and address any potential weaknesses in your application materials. Best of luck in your graduate school journey.

1. What courses should I take to prepare for math graduate school?

It is recommended to take advanced courses in calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, real analysis, and topology. These courses will provide a strong foundation for graduate level math courses.

2. Is it important to have research experience before applying to math graduate school?

While research experience is not necessary, it can greatly enhance your application and demonstrate your passion and commitment to mathematics. Consider reaching out to professors for research opportunities or participating in undergraduate research programs.

3. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a math graduate program?

In addition to maintaining a high GPA and having strong letters of recommendation, it is important to have a strong personal statement that highlights your interest in the field and your academic achievements. It is also helpful to have experience in teaching or tutoring mathematics.

4. Should I take the GRE exam for math graduate school?

Most math graduate programs require or recommend taking the GRE exam. It is important to check the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if the GRE is necessary for your application.

5. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for math graduate school?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you prepare for math graduate school. These include review books, online practice exams, and study groups. It is also helpful to reach out to current graduate students or professors for advice and guidance.