1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current Mathematics Major; Extra Year for Physics?

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    This might a lot to digest, but I would be forever appreciative if someone with knowledge could offer any advice pertaining to my future plans:

Currently I'm majoring in Mathematics in state university. I'm have two more semesters worth of college and am due to graduate May 13. Last year I took Physics I & II (requirement, I didn't take Calc-based ones because I got stuck b/c the Calc version was filled :yuck:) and discovered I wanted to learn so much more about it. I decided immediately to declare a minor, and they said I should not have a problem with the non-Calc physics to swap for the Calc if I wanted to pursue it. Well now, I really want to major in it. Would this be worth it?

With that being said, my Math degree is pretty much finished (Have a 2.98, hopefully will end with 3 in major), just need Topology & Diff Eq. and I would need to take 3 Physics classes for the next four semesters.

And... further more I ultimately want to go to graduate school for math or physics, and how would double-majoring affect this?

Thanks,
    Billy

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2
    If you can afford an extra year it's worth it just to pull that GPA out of 2. land. Still, physics probably isn't what you would want to take to do that.

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    If the ultimate goal is to go to graduate school, you should try your best to fix two red flags I see. You GPA is poor and you seem very undecided. You haven't study any physics, yet you are considering it for grad school.

If you end up going to grad school for math, then the extra time spent at university would be better spent sitting for graduate level math courses. Though I don't think double majoring ever hurts anyone, it's just you can always spend that time elsewhere.

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4
    Well, I took Physics I & II and I've read up on other subjects as well. It has the same beauty as mathematics.

As for my GPA it will be at least a 3 next semester, is that really considered poor in Grad school terms ?

6. Jun 13, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A 3 is the bare minimum. Most grad schools won't even consider you if you have less than a 3.

7. Jun 14, 2012 #6
    I disagree; depends on your goals/interests.

8. Jun 14, 2012 #7
    Not even applied math programs care much for a physics background, let alone an entire major in it. At best the OP may decide to go into mathematical physics, where if offered from a math department (my original assumption) a background in physics still wouldn't be as good as have taken certain math courses. Take for example gauge theory, most mathematicians would rather the student know some algebraic topology and differential geometry at the grad level.

Lastly there's at least one more benefit for grad classes. It gives the admission committee some assurance that you can handle a graduate course load which gives them more faith that you can pass your quals.

9. Jun 14, 2012 #8
    I don't know what programs care for. But that's not the only question. What do YOU care for? Not just the program. Perhaps, it's this attitude of mine that has lead to my relative failure in grad school, but for some, "failure" in the eyes of the system is a sacrifice worth making, as it is much better to "fail" in the eyes of the system than to fail yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook