Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current State of the Big Freeze end of the Universe Theory.

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    I was trying to find an updated view on the plausibility of the Big Freeze. I believe that a couple of years ago, it was considered the most likely end of the world scenario and I was just wondering if it still is.

Also as a side question: I understand that Big Freeze happens with an indefinite expansion of the universe. Does this occur exclusively with a Wq value of -1 exactly or any value below -1/3, given that it stays below -1/3 indefinitely.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, the current cosmological model does have the universe ending in heat death.

4. May 9, 2013 #3

bapowell

Science Advisor

By Wq do you mean the equation of state, [itex]w = p/\rho[/itex]? If so, [itex]w<-1/3[/itex] is the condition for inflation -- accelerated expansion -- which is not the only way to achieve heat death. As long as the universe is open or flat, so that the scale factor is monotonically increasing in the limit [itex]t\rightarrow \infty[/itex], the universe will succumb to heat death.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook