Current versus dynamic force on linear actuators

In summary: Width = 80 inHeight = 56 inIn summary, G'day guys, it's been brought to my attention that my colleague believes that current draw will still be the same with a 200lb actuator, even though it has a higher force rating. I'm not sure if I've made a mistake, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. conservation of energy is a powerful tool, and ignoring efficiency can lead to wasted power. Thanks for helping me put my doubts to rest!
Apple&Orange
G'day guys

So I currently have a 2x 8" stoke 150lbs dynamic force actuators with a maximum current draw of 5A.
The exact one is the FA-PO-150-12-XX in the link below:

https://www.firgelliauto.com/products/feedback-rod-actuator

The load I have on it causes the actuators to draw almost its' maximum limit (i.e. 4.5A - 4.8A).

To minimize the current draw, I was thinking of using actuators with a higher force rating (i.e. the 200lbs dynamic force actuator in the link above). However, one of my colleagues believes that current draw will still be the same because it shares the same motor specifications. The only difference is the gear ratio, which will result in a slower stroke speed, but still draw the same amount of current.

His conviction has left me double thinking myself, and am wondering if he is correct. Could someone put my doubts to rest?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy is a powerful tool. Ignoring efficiency, electric power = mechanical power.

To minimize power, make it move slower, or use a lever or gears.

Take a look at the specification tab. The speeds and gear ratio are different for each version.

35 lb model: 35lb at 2"/S, 5:1
150 lb model: 150lb at 0.5"/S, 20:1
200 lb model: 200lb at 0.3"/S, 30:1

The actual current draw will depend on how the load behaves at different speeds. What is the load?

It's quite interesting to calculate the power required to move the max load...

For the 150lb model..

150lb = 68kg
0.5"/S = 0.0127m/S

The power required should be..
= Force * Velocity
= 68*0.0127
= 0.86W

Yet you say it's drawing 5A at 12V = 60W?

Have I made a mistake?

anorlunda said:
Conservation of energy is a powerful tool. Ignoring efficiency, electric power = mechanical power.

To minimize power, make it move slower, or use a lever or gears.
So the 200lbs actuator should draw less current then, given it has a higher gearing?

CWatters said:
It's quite interesting to calculate the power required to move the max load...

For the 150lb model..

150lb = 68kg
0.5"/S = 0.0127m/S

The power required should be..
= Force * Velocity
= 68*0.0127
= 0.86W

Yet you say it's drawing 5A at 12V = 60W?

Have I made a mistake?

The actuators will need to lift around 105Kg of vertical load. However, I have both of them opening at an angle of 27.72 given the design constraints.
The power of the motor is seems correct, because that is what my colleague has calculated as well.

I'm not an expert when it comes calculations...but for using the power formula above, shouldn't the mass be multiplied by acceleration first?

Apple&Orange said:
shouldn't the mass be multiplied by acceleration first?

Darn it you are right.

Apple&Orange said:
The actuators will need to lift around 105Kg of vertical load. However, I have both of them opening at an angle of 27.72 given the design constraints.

So is the vertical load effectively 105*9.81/Sin(27.7) = 1030/0.46 = 2215N ?

Either way the fact that it would move slower with the 200lb model would reduce the power consumption and hence the current.

Likes Apple&Orange
Looking at the spec sheet there's another thing to keep in mind ... duty cycle. These actuators are rated 20% duty cycle at 100% load, 50% duty cycle at 25% load, and a maximum of 5 minutes continuous operation.

Likes CWatters
Hi guys, I've had another thought.

Assuming same actuator specifications, which of the three scenarios would draw more current from the actuators?

Based on my understanding of basic physics, I am inclined to say Scenario B, mainly because the vertical force component of the actuator relative to gravity has decreased, or even gone into the negative. Scenario C would draw the least amount.

As you can tell, these actuators will be used to lift a lid with mass on top. These lids are attached to trailers, and the trailer may be parked at an X incline.
upload_2017-9-19_11-24-40.png
upload_2017-9-19_11-24-59.png
upload_2017-9-19_11-25-12.png

Can you put some dimensions on one of the drawings?

1. What is the difference between current and dynamic force on linear actuators?

Current force refers to the amount of force that a linear actuator can exert at a given moment, while dynamic force takes into account factors such as speed and acceleration. In other words, current force is a static measurement, while dynamic force is a more comprehensive measurement that considers the movement of the actuator.

2. How does the current force affect the performance of a linear actuator?

The current force directly impacts the maximum load capacity and speed of a linear actuator. A higher current force means the actuator can handle heavier loads and move faster. However, it's important to note that the current force may decrease over time due to wear and tear, so regular maintenance is crucial to ensure optimal performance.

3. Can the dynamic force be higher than the current force on a linear actuator?

Yes, the dynamic force can be higher than the current force on a linear actuator. This is because the dynamic force takes into account factors such as speed and acceleration, which can increase the overall force exerted by the actuator.

4. How can I calculate the current and dynamic force of a linear actuator?

The current force can be calculated by multiplying the rated output force of the actuator by its gear ratio. The dynamic force can be calculated by taking into account the speed and acceleration of the actuator, along with its rated output force and gear ratio.

5. What are the factors that can affect the current and dynamic force of a linear actuator?

The main factors that can affect the current and dynamic force of a linear actuator are the design and quality of the actuator, the weight and distribution of the load, and the environmental conditions in which the actuator is operating. Temperature, moisture, and vibrations can also impact the performance of a linear actuator.