Curvature of Catmullrom spline

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gingaz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curvature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
gingaz
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello guys!

I'm stuck with this for a 4th day now..

I have a set of data and for every data point I want to calculate a curvature. In order to do that I use Catmullrom spline to interpolate points and get derivatives f' and f". Curvature is defined as y"/ (1+y'^2)^3/2.

However, at some points calculated curvature is incorrect.It is known, that Catmullrom is C1 continuous, so f" is NOT continuous.
I have read somewhere, that f' means slope and f" - curvature.

My question would be: for curvature calculations, can I rely on Catmullrom spline if it is only C1 continuous (not C2)?
Or should i use NURBS? Any easier approach?

Thank you very much!

Ginga
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably not. B-spline are piecewise cubic and the second derivative is always continuous at knots, unlike Catmullrom splines.
 
HallsofIvy said:
Probably not. B-spline are piecewise cubic and the second derivative is always continuous at knots, unlike Catmullrom splines.
The OP appeared to be open to the possibility of using different splines, so I was suggesting B-splines.