Curvature of Catmullrom spline

• Thread starter gingaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Catmullrom splines for calculating curvature, but notes that the spline is only C1 continuous and may not always produce accurate results. The question is raised whether NURBS or B-splines would be a better approach for calculating curvature, with the possibility of using B-splines being suggested.
gingaz
Hello guys!

I'm stuck with this for a 4th day now..

I have a set of data and for every data point I want to calculate a curvature. In order to do that I use Catmullrom spline to interpolate points and get derivatives f' and f". Curvature is defined as y"/ (1+y'^2)^3/2.

However, at some points calculated curvature is incorrect.It is known, that Catmullrom is C1 continuous, so f" is NOT continuous.
I have read somewhere, that f' means slope and f" - curvature.

My question would be: for curvature calculations, can I rely on Catmullrom spline if it is only C1 continuous (not C2)?
Or should i use NURBS? Any easier approach?

Thank you very much!

Ginga

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Does http://tom.cs.byu.edu/~455/bs.pdf help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not. B-spline are piecewise cubic and the second derivative is always continuous at knots, unlike Catmullrom splines.

HallsofIvy said:
Probably not. B-spline are piecewise cubic and the second derivative is always continuous at knots, unlike Catmullrom splines.
The OP appeared to be open to the possibility of using different splines, so I was suggesting B-splines.

Hello Ginga,

First of all, I understand your frustration and I'm sorry to hear that you have been stuck on this issue for several days. Let me try to provide some insight and potential solutions to your problem.

From what you have described, it seems like you are trying to calculate the curvature of a Catmullrom spline using the formula y"/ (1+y'^2)^3/2. This formula is commonly used to calculate curvature for any type of curve, not just Catmullrom splines. However, as you have mentioned, the curvature is incorrect at some points. This is most likely due to the fact that Catmullrom splines are only C1 continuous, meaning that the first derivative (slope) is continuous, but the second derivative (curvature) may not be. This can result in incorrect curvature values at certain points.

To answer your question, yes, you can still rely on Catmullrom splines for curvature calculations even if they are only C1 continuous. However, there are a few things you can try to improve the accuracy of your calculations. One approach is to use a higher degree of interpolation, such as using a Catmullrom spline with a higher degree (e.g. cubic instead of quadratic). This can help improve the continuity of the second derivative and may result in more accurate curvature values.

Another option is to use NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines) instead of Catmullrom splines. NURBS are C2 continuous, meaning that both the first and second derivatives are continuous. This can result in more accurate curvature calculations. However, NURBS can be more complex to implement and may not be necessary depending on your specific application.

In terms of an easier approach, you may want to consider using a library or software that has built-in functions for calculating curvature of curves. This can save you time and effort in implementing the calculations yourself and may also provide more accurate results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is the Curvature of Catmullrom spline?

The Curvature of Catmullrom spline, also known as the Catmull-Rom curve, is a type of mathematical function used in computer graphics to create smooth curves. It is often used in 3D animations and video games to create natural-looking motion.

2. How is the Curvature of Catmullrom spline calculated?

The Curvature of Catmullrom spline is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account four control points: the two endpoints of the curve and two additional points that determine the shape of the curve. The formula uses a combination of linear and quadratic equations to create a smooth curve between the control points.

3. What are the benefits of using the Curvature of Catmullrom spline?

One of the main benefits of using the Curvature of Catmullrom spline is the ability to create smooth, natural-looking curves with minimal control points. This makes it useful for creating lifelike animations and realistic movements in video games. Additionally, the formula used to calculate the curve is relatively simple and efficient, making it a popular choice for computer graphics.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Curvature of Catmullrom spline?

While the Curvature of Catmullrom spline is a useful tool for creating smooth curves, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it can only create curves that pass through the control points. This means that it may not be suitable for creating more complex or intricate shapes. Additionally, the curve can become distorted if the control points are placed too far apart.

5. How does the Curvature of Catmullrom spline compare to other types of curves?

The Curvature of Catmullrom spline is often compared to other types of curves, such as Bezier curves and B-splines. While all of these curves have their own strengths and weaknesses, the Curvature of Catmullrom spline is known for its simplicity and efficiency in creating smooth curves. It also has the advantage of requiring fewer control points compared to other types of curves, making it a popular choice in computer graphics.