On the Gaussian Curvature of time-like surfaces

In summary, the author uses a time-like surface (hyperboloid) to parametrize a position vector, and finds that the curvature is 1/2 at the origin (0) and infinite in other directions. Gaussian curvature is evaluated using Gauss's standard formula, which indicates that it should be negative throughout.
deRoy
Firstly, I am asking for your patience and understanding because my maths formalism is not going to be rigorous.

In another thread here in this forum, I set an example for which now I am asking further instructions.

I am going to ask about time-like surfaces immersed in Minkowskian space-time and how to find the Gaussian curvature at a point.

So, in my example I am starting with line: ##
t = \sqrt {x^2 - \frac {1} {x^2}}
## and embed this in Minkowski space-time. I am going to rotate this about the t-axis and get a time-like surface resembling a hyperboloid. Time-like in the sense that the normal vector to the surface is always space-like.

Ok, now parametrize a bit with φ for latitude and θ for longitude coordinates to find position vector ## r ##.
I am getting: ## (\sqrt{Coshφ}Cosθ ,\sqrt{Coshφ}Sinθ , i \sqrt{SinhφTanhφ})## and I am using the imaginary unit ## i ## for the t-axis coordinate in order to get the right metric.

Proceeding with the usual dot product after differentiating to find ## dr ##, I am getting the required metric: ## ds^2 =-Sechφ(3+Sech^2φ)dφ^2/4+(Coshφ)dθ^2 ##. Calculations were done with Mathematica.
Finally, I am using the usual Gauss formula to find the curvature.

It turns out that at φ=0 curvature is 1/2 and at infinity curvature is infinite, a result which I am very happy with.

My question is, am I always allowed to use this trick with the imaginary unit to evaluate the metric and Gaussian curvature of a time-like surface? I have to admit that my knowledge in this subject is very limited.
No-one ever told me, never read it in a book, it just works!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, besides I strongly discourage everybody of the use of the oldfashioned ##\mathrm{i} c t## convention, as far as I can see your metric looks right. You can do this entirely within real linear algebra using the Lorentz bilinear form. Sine you are using the east-coast convention ("mostly +") the signature in your case is (3,1). For a Galilean frame the pseudo-metric components are thus given by ##(\eta_{\mu \nu})=\mathrm{diag}(1,1,1,-1)##. For an elementary introduction to SR (however written in the west-coast convention since I'm used to it, working in high-energy hadron physics (heavy-ion collisions), where this convention is more frequently used than the east-coast one), see

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

vanhees71 said:
Well, besides I strongly discourage everybody of the use of the oldfashioned ictict\mathrm{i} c t convention, as far as I can see your metric looks right. You can do this entirely within real linear algebra using the Lorentz bilinear form. Sine you are using the east-coast convention ("mostly +") the signature in your case is (3,1). For a Galilean frame the pseudo-metric components are thus given by (ημν)=diag(1,1,1,−1)(ημν)=diag(1,1,1,−1)(\eta_{\mu \nu})=\mathrm{diag}(1,1,1,-1).

Thank you for your answer. I like this metric because it represents a spatial ring-like section moving from singularity to singularity in finite co-moving time ( proper time for co-moving observers riding on the ring. )

But I must have evaluated the Gaussian Curvature wrong. It should be negative throughout I believe. What do you think?

I believe the standard formula given by Gauss still applies here for 2 dimensions ( I've checked derivation and it's the usual dot product to find the infinitesimal triangle area with Cosh of the angle to replace Cosines if required, I am not sure if this method still applies in higher dimensions though. )

1. What is the significance of Gaussian curvature in time-like surfaces?

Gaussian curvature measures the intrinsic curvature of a surface, independent of its orientation in space. In time-like surfaces, it is a measure of how much the surface bends in relation to time, and can provide insights into the behavior of space-time.

2. How is Gaussian curvature calculated in time-like surfaces?

Gaussian curvature is calculated using the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which states that the total curvature of a closed surface is equal to 2π times its Euler characteristic. This can be expressed mathematically as K = 2πχ, where K is the Gaussian curvature and χ is the Euler characteristic.

3. Can Gaussian curvature change over time in time-like surfaces?

Yes, Gaussian curvature can change over time in time-like surfaces. This is because the curvature of a surface is affected by changes in its shape and orientation, which can occur over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying Gaussian curvature in time-like surfaces?

Studying Gaussian curvature in time-like surfaces can have applications in various fields such as general relativity, astrophysics, and cosmology. It can also help in understanding the behavior of black holes and the formation of gravitational waves.

5. What are some limitations of using Gaussian curvature to study time-like surfaces?

One limitation is that Gaussian curvature only provides information about the intrinsic curvature of a surface, and does not take into account external forces or influences. Additionally, it may not accurately describe the behavior of extremely curved or highly dynamic time-like surfaces.