Curvilinear.... isn't that a strange word?

In summary, the conversation discusses the word "curvilinear" and its use in physics to describe vector quantities in various coordinate systems. The speaker finds it funny and wonders about its usage in other applications, while also mentioning its variations in Spanish.
CPW
Hi PF.

I'm over ten years out from graduate school in physics, and I still enjoy re-reading my textbooks. I came across the word curvilinear, and thought how strange a word it is; a juxtaposition of curved and linear, which are at times understood to be opposites. The textbook was describing vector quantities (e.g. acceleration) in rectangular, plane polar, spherical, and cylindrical coordinate systems, and curvilinear was used for a generalized coordinate system.

It struck me as funny.
I'm sure it is a word used in other applications, but what?

Physics news on Phys.org
In spanish there is also the word curvilíneo, or curvilínea. Not only the contradiction you mention, but also the género question: it can be male in some cases, and female in others😄

Likes Klystron

1. What does "curvilinear" mean?

Curvilinear refers to a shape or line that is curved or follows a curved path. It is the opposite of linear, which means straight.

2. Is "curvilinear" a scientific term?

Yes, "curvilinear" is a commonly used term in various scientific fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. What are some examples of curvilinear shapes?

Some examples of curvilinear shapes include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and spirals. These shapes can be found in nature, such as the orbits of planets, or in man-made structures, like the arches of bridges.

4. How is "curvilinear" different from "circular"?

While both terms involve curves, "curvilinear" is a broader term that encompasses any type of curved shape, while "circular" specifically refers to a shape that is perfectly round or has a constant radius.

5. Why is "curvilinear" an important concept in science?

Understanding curvilinear shapes and their properties allows scientists to describe and analyze natural phenomena, as well as design more efficient and effective structures and systems. It is also a fundamental concept in fields such as calculus and geometry.